City accepting applications for vacated D5 council seat
Surprise, AZ (November 21, 2018) The city of Surprise is currently accepting applications for the position of Councilmember District 5 (Palm) due to the selection of the incumbent, Skip Hall, as Mayor at the November 20th City Council Meeting.
Mayor Hall will serve in the mayoral capacity until December 31, 2020, fulfilling the remaining mayoral term vacated by Sharon Wolcott on November 16, 2018.
All District 5 applicants must reside within District 5 boundaries.
The term expiration for the appointment will be December 31, 2020, and the remainder of the four-year term will be placed on the next scheduled Council election in August 20, 2020 per ARS 9-235 (The council shall fill a vacancy that may occur by appointment until the next regularly scheduled council election if the vacancy occurs more than thirty days before the nomination petition deadline. This subsection does not apply to a charter city). The Interview/Selection process is as follows:
Section 2-22 of the Surprise City Code – Council/District Vacancy:
(1) Vacancies in district office will be advertised beginning no later than 14 days from the date the vacancy is created when caused by death, and seven days from the date the vacancy is created in all other cases. The city clerk will advertise all vacancies in at least one newspaper with local circulation, on the city website, and in all designated posting locations during the application acceptance period. (Date of Advertisement – Monday, November 26, 2018).
(2) All eligible persons interested in filling the district vacancy must submit an application to the city
clerk's office prior to the close of the acceptance period. The application acceptance period will end at 5:00 p.m. on the 14th day following the placement of the advertisement as required by subsection (1) of this section. (Monday, December 10th, 2018).
(3) No later than the end of the business day following the close of the application acceptance period, the city clerk will forward to the mayor and council and post on the city website a copy of all applications submitted during the application acceptance period (Tuesday, December 11, 2018).
(4) The council will interview each applicant at a public hearing held no later than ten days following the close of the application acceptance period, followed by a seven-day period during which public comment may be submitted to the city clerk's office (Interview/Public Hearing – Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 4:00 p.m. & Close of Comments (Thursday, December 27, 2018 – 5:00 p.m.).
(5) No later than the end of the business day following the close of the public comment period, the city clerk will forward to the mayor and council and post on the city website a copy of all comments submitted during the comment period (Friday, December 28, 2018).
(6) A district candidate must be selected no later than the second regularly scheduled council meeting following the public hearing (Thursday, January 3, 2019 or Tuesday, January 15, 2019 – 6:00 p.m.).
Applications are available for pick up the City Clerk’s Office, 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza, starting on Monday, November 26, 2018 – 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday, and the closing date will be Monday, December 10, 2018 – 5:00 p.m.
Interviews will be scheduled for Thursday, December 20, 2018 at a Special Council Meeting (4:00 p.m.).
Selection of the applicant will take place on Thursday, January 3, 2019 or Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 6:00 p.m. Regular Council Meeting. Applications are also available online @ www.surpriseaz.gov, under City Clerk section.
Please submit applications to the City Clerk’s Office.