Join the Team
The City of Surprise currently lists employment opportunities and accepts applications through its Surprise On-line Applicant Recruiting (SOAR) System. Prospective candidates should go to the City of Surprise Career Site, follow the links and directions to submit your application on-line.
The City of Surprise Police Department has established minimum qualifications for people interested in becoming police officers. The minimum qualifications are listed below. The hiring process normally takes between 3 to 4 months from the date of the written/physical test for applicants.
If you have any questions regarding recruitment, please contact the Surprise Police Department’s Recruitment Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 623-222-4100.
- 21 years of age
- United States Citizen
- No felony conviction
- High school diploma or GED
- Not have been convicted of a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Arizona
- Not have been dishonorably discharged from the US Armed Forces
- Not have illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported marijuana for sale
- Not have illegally used marijuana for any purpose within the past three years
- Not have ever illegally used marijuana other than experimentation
- Not have ever illegally used marijuana while employed or appointed as a peace officer
- Not have illegally sold, produced, cultivated or transported for sale any dangerous drug or narcotic
- Not have illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic, other than marijuana, for any purpose within the past seven years
- Not have ever illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic other than experimentation
- Any sexual conduct prohibited by law
- Negligence in maintaining financial responsibility
See the City of Surprise Public Safety Veteran Recruitment Policies
I'm Qualified, Now What?
The City of Surprise currently accepts applications through its on-line application system. Prospective candidates should DOWNLOAD A POLICE RECRUITMENT INFORMATION PACKET.
Applications must be completed online - SUBMIT AN APPLICATION ONLINE. If you meet the minimum requirements, after your application is submitted and reviewed, you will receive testing information via e-mail. On the test-date, Police Officer Recruit applicants will participate in a physical test; 1.5 mile run, maximum push-ups (not timed), and maximum sit-ups in a minute. Both Police Officer Recruit and Police Officer (lateral) applicants must take a written exam.
Each step of the process is contingent on the successful completion of the previous step. After successfully completing the written and physical testing, you will undergo a background interview, polygraph exam, psychological assessment and medical exam, and interview with the Chief of Police.Again, each step of the process is contingent on successful completion of the previous step.
For more information please contact the Surprise Police Department’s recruitment Unit at email@example.com or by calling (623) 222-4100.
If an applicant is unsuccessful during any phase of the recruitment process they are strongly encouraged to visit the SOAR website and apply for new jobs as they become available.