The City of Surprise Small Business Grant 2.0 program is no longer accepting applications. All of the funding has been awarded or is in the process of being awarded.
The Surprise City Council approved the Surprise Small Business Relief Grant 2.0 program on November 2, 2020. This program expansion provides an additional $100,000 to include assistance for small business retailers and non-profits in commercial space who were not restricted by the Governor’s executive orders.
The Surprise Small Business Relief Grant 2.0 will continue to provide emergency financial relief to local small businesses experiencing economic distress and loss of revenue due to the COVID-19 pandemic and closures compliant with Governor Doug Ducey’s Executive Orders and will now also include local retailers and non-profits in commercial space.
Applications for the grant will be in the amounts of $1,500 (Category 1), $2,500 (Category 2), $5,000 (Categories 3a, 3b and 3c), $7,500 (Category 4) and $10,000 (Category 5) with the intent to support for-profit small businesses maintain operations and associated jobs in the City of Surprise by assisting with rent, utilities, payroll expenses and other necessary operating costs.
The Arizona Community Foundation is administering the Surprise Small Business Relief Grant 2.0 program.
For questions email SurpriseRelief@azfoundation.org or call 623.222.3300
Documents needed for application: Surprise Business “Registration” License & W-9 Form
To qualify, small business must meet all of the following requirements:
- Located in the City of Surprise and have a current City of Surprise business license.
- Fit into one of business categories, either those directly impacted by the Governor’s Executive Orders or in retail or non-profit sectors, as defined below:
- Category 1 Businesses will be eligible for relief grants of up to $1,500 and include: Hair Salon and Barber Shop Businesses, Massage Therapy and Nail Salon Establishments, Tubing Operating Businesses and Water Parks.
- Category 2 Businesses will be eligible for relief grants of up to $2,500 and include: Restaurants with no indoor nor fully-enclosed dining (as of July 15, 2020).
- Category 3 Businesses will be eligible for up to $5,000:
- Category 3a: Restaurants with indoor or fully enclosed dining; Small (less than 4,500 sf) fitness, dance, yoga, gymnastics studios/centers/facilities etc.
- NEW! Category 3b (up to $5,000): Non-profits in commercial space
- NEW! Category 3c (up to $5,000): Retail businesses in commercial space
- Category 4 Businesses will be eligible for relief grants of up to $7,500 and include: Bars (Series 6 or 7 licenses).
- Category 5 Businesses will be eligible for relief grants of up to $10,000 and include: Fitness Clubs or Indoor Gyms with more than 4,500 square feet of space.
- Occupy and own or lease a commercial real property as its principal place of business inside the City of Surprise city limits.
- Gross total revenues declined as a result of COVID-19 and business was closed for more than 10 days in compliance with the following Governor’s Executive Orders: 2020-09, 2020-12, 2020-18, 2020-36, 2020-40, 2020-43, 2020-47, 2020-52.
- Current and active City of Surprise business license in good standing issued to a City of Surprise address prior to March 1, 2020.
- Please note that Non-Profits are not required to have a City of Surprise Business License, however it is preferred that they register with the City of Surprise. There is no cost as long as documentation is provided showing a Non-Profit status.
- To register, forms are available online at https://www.surpriseaz.gov/3037/Business-License-Application-Supplementa ,and completed forms can be emailed or mailed for processing. For any questions or clarifications on this process, Non-Profits can call 623-222-1836 or email Business.License@surpriseaz.gov.
- Employ 25 or fewer full-time equivalents (FTE) as of March 1, 2020;
- No more than $2 million in gross revenues between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019.
- If other relief funding (SBA, CARES Act PPP or EIDL funding) has already been received, evidence that this funding has been insufficient to sustain the business for the duration of the pandemic and associated impacts and closures.
- Ability to share with the City of Surprise information demonstrating the economic impact of the grant program, including but not limited to, jobs retained, jobs created, increased sales, access to capital and other benefits.
- May not have any active enforcement actions against the business by the City of Surprise.
Additional COVID-19 Small Business Relief Grant Information
Applying for the grant does not guarantee that funding will be awarded, and each business entity may apply only once. Businesses awarded grants in the original Small Business Relief Grant program, which closed October 30, 2020, are not eligible for the Small Business Relief Grant 2.0 program. Grants will be awarded on a rolling basis until funding is exhausted or until the grant period ends.
The City of Surprise reserves the right to modify or extend the grant at any time on the basis of city, county, state or federal policy changes, funding ability, or other legal reason.
For additional information or questions, please contact the Surprise Economic Development Department at SurpriseRelief@azfoundation.org or 623-222-3300.
Additional Surprise COVID-19 Small Business Resources
For additional information about business assistance available as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit the Surprise Economic Development Department COVID-19 “Business Help” page at www.surpriseaz.gov/businesshelp.