Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Celebration & Service
In honor of the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the city of Surprise is hosting a day of celebration and service on Saturday, January 19, 2019 in the outside courtyard at Surprise City Hall, located at 16000 N Civic Center Plaza. We will also have various sponsor exhibit booths and health and wellness resources for the community.
Keynote Speaker Mr. Clay Dix
Mr. Dix has been a social worker, agency administrator, educator, consultant, staff trainer and public speaker. He is nationally recognized for his lifetime commitment to diversity and fatherhood. He worked for Arizona State University West and served as the chairman of the social work departments at Valparaiso University and ASU West. Dix founded and directed the New Choices Program, an alcohol and drug treatment program that also develops parenting skills and prevents child abuse and neglect. He is active with Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church and has volunteered on numerous community boards, including Maricopa County Community Services Commission, Salvation Army Family Services Board of Directors, National Council on Alcoholism, Christian Family Care Agency and the Judicial Council of the Arizona State Supreme Court.
Emcee Susan Casper
Host of Sonoran Living on ABC15, executive board member of Dress for Success Phoenix, and a founding member of the National Coalition of 100 Black Women Phoenix Metropolitan Chapter
8:30 a.m. Light Breakfast & Celebration
9:00 a.m. Celebration Begins
9:45 a.m. Service Project Kick-off
How to get involved:
- Sponsorships – If your business or organization would like to help sponsor the event, there are several opportunities. See Sponsorship Options. For more information, please contact Seth Dyson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Individuals/Families – Join us for the breakfast, the program and the day of service; or come at 9:45 a.m. for the service project assignments. Projects may include food sorting, painting, landscaping, trash collection, etc. and will last 1-4 hours. Advanced registration is not required. Assignments will be given out at the event.
- Groups – If you plan on bringing your group/club/congregation and would like to participate in the service projects, please RSVP your group name and estimated number of people to Ervin Cutwright at email@example.com.
- Service Project Ideas – If you would like to suggest service projects to complete, please contact Ervin Cutwright at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Calling all youth artists ages 12-14! The city of Surprise is holding a poster contest as part of the 3rd annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Celebration and Service. Learn more...
- Desert Diamond West Valley Casino Si’al Ke:k
- GEC Electrical Contractors @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- West Valley Symphony @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Gateway Mortgage Group, LLC @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>