Community Action Program (CAP)
The Community Action Program (CAP) is a partnership between Maricopa County, Surprise and El Mirage that provides support services that foster self-sufficiency and stability during unexpected financial crises by providing limited temporary assistance with utility and eviction prevention for qualifying Surprise and El Mirage residents.
The CAP office currently has rental and utility funding available for households impacted by COVID-19 that reside in the cities of Surprise and El Mirage. Income guidelines for COVID-19 rental assistance have expanded to assist residents with higher incomes, up to 300% poverty level (Example - family of 4 is eligible if their gross monthly income is $6,550 or lower). Rental and utility assistance is also available to residents not impacted by COVID-19. Funding is limited.
Residents have options to apply for rental and utility assistance:
- Residents can apply online at: https://portal.neighborlysoftware.com/SURPRISEAZ/Participant
- Walk ins accepted at the Surprise Resource Center, 12425 W. Bell Rd., Ste 124, Surprise during operational hours: Monday/Tuesday from 8:00am - 5:00pm, Wednesday/Thursday from 8:00am -7:00pm, and Fridays from 8:00am -12:00pm
- Walk ins accepted at El Mirage Senior Center, 14010 N. El Mirage Rd, El Mirage on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 8:00am - 1:00pm.
COVID Rental Assistance Documentation Needed
- Proof of Identity for Primary Applicant (ex. Photo ID)
- Proof of Residential Address (ex. Lease, utility bill)
- Current lease agreement
- Gross earned and unearned income for 30 days prior to the date of application
- Proof of hardship due to COVID-19 Pandemic (ex. Letter from employer, Doctor’s note, DES Pandemic Unemployment Assistance Award Letter)
- Landlord form completed by the landlord
- W9 form completed by the landlord
Utility Assistance Documentation Needed
- For Applicant Only: U.S birth certificate OR U.S. passport OR proof of current legal resident status. The applicant must be a member of the household for which they are completing the application.
- For Applicant Only: Photo Identification
- Social security cards or official verification of social security numbers for ALL household members
- Verification of ALL income received for the most recent 30 days by any household member. For example: Social Security award letter, paystubs, verification of unemployment insurance benefits, pensions, child support checks, DES cash assistance award letter, etc.
- Current or most recent utility bill for electric and gas. Please bring the entire statement or bill that shows a full months billing cycle or service for the most recent month.
Visit www.surpriseaz.gov/socialservices to view additional resources and programs that are available to support you.