Christmas Tree Disposal
The City of Surprise offers several Christmas Tree disposal sites. The drop-off period runs December 26, 2016 to January 14, 2017.
Please remove all decorations and place trees in designated areas only. Limit - two trees per household.
- Gaines Park 15837 N. Nash Street (north end of the parking lot)
- Surprise Recreation Campus/ Youth Baseball Complex 15795 N. Parkview Place (across from Valley Vista High School)
- Surprise Farms Softball Park 17894 Westpark Blvd (parking lot on corner of N Willow Canyon Rd & W. Surprise Farms Dr. South)
Moving Box Pickup Service
As a welcome to Surprise, each new resident receives a free, one-time pick up of moving boxes. Boxes must be flattened and tied or taped together. To schedule a pick up, call the Public Works Department at 623.222.6000.
Disposal of Unused Medicines
The City of Surprise Police Department has a prescription drug collection bin in its lobby for easy disposal of unwanted drugs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please note the following items cannot be deposited into the drug collection unit: needles, ointments, lotions, liquids, aerosol cans, inhalers, hydrogen peroxide, and thermometers. The Surprise Police Department is located at 14250 West Statler Plaza.
Click here to download a guide for proper disposal of unused medicines
Home Medical Sharps Disposal
The handling and disposal of used home generated medical sharps such as needles, syringes, and lancets, are exempted from regulation in Arizona's Medical Waste Regulations (Arizona Administrative Code (A.A.C.) R18-13-1401 et seq.). However, these materials still need to be handled safely. ADEQ needs your help in ensuring that medical sharps are disposed of in a manner that helps minimize health risks to garbage haulers, landfill personnel and the community.
Medical sharps should be placed in either a purchased medical sharps container (from a pharmacy or health care provider) or a heavy-plastic or metal container. The containers should be puncture-proof with a tight-fitting lid. Household containers such as plastic detergent bottles can be used if the following precautions are observed:
- Use heavy-duty tape such as electrical or duct tape to secure the lid to the container.
- Write the words "Not Recyclable" on the container with a black indelible marker. This helps to ensure the container will not be inadvertently mingled with recyclable materials.
- Do not use a clear or glass container.
- Do not over-stuff the containers with medical sharps (fill only to approximately: full).
- This can increase pressure on the lid and cause a release of the medical sharps.
- While waiting for a full container, keep out of reach of children and pets. Always wash your hands after handling or touching medical sharps. Once you have followed these precautions, the container may be placed in your regular trash for disposal.