Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event
The City of Surprise offers Household Hazardous Waste Collection events to help protect the environment by properly disposing items which may contain harmful chemicals. These events are open to Surprise residents only.
To participate in the program, you will need to schedule an appointment to have acceptable items picked up from your home.
The city is currently coordinating plans for future Household Hazardous Waste Events in Surprise. Details will be released when available. Sign up to receive city email and/or text notifications.
- Schedule your collection date (My Surprise app, or Customer Service)
- Customer service representatives will schedule the best available appointment and inquire about what items are to be collected, discuss volume limitations, and direct how items are to be packed. View the online checklist
- Acceptable items will need to be placed outside, on the driveway and up against the garage, by 6 a.m. on the scheduled collection date. Do NOT place hazardous waste on sidewalks or curbside.
- Properly-packaged, sealed and labeled items will be picked up between the hours of 6 a.m. – 4 p.m. on the scheduled collection date.
- Antifreeze, motor oil, gasoline, diesel, and fuel additives (5 gallon limit per household)
- Brake-transmission-power steering fluid, degreasers (5 gallon limit per household)
- Pool chemicals, fire extinguishers and gas cylinders
- Car and household batteries
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Stain, varnish, turpentine, cleaners, adhesives
- Oil-based paint*, paint thinners, solvents, cleaners, adhesives (10 gallon limit per household)
- Pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers and other lawn chemicals
- TVs, electronics, cell phones, computers, stereos
* Latex paint has a low level of toxicity; properly dispose small quantities of latex paint by removing the lid, letting it dry. When you are sure it’s dry, place it in a bag and throw it in the trash bin.
- Regular refuse and bulk trash
- Bio–medical waste
- Commercial waste
- Ammunition or explosives
- RV refrigerators that contain ammonia
- Radioactive material
Questions? Call 623.222.1920 or email email@example.com
Tips to Reduce Hazardous Waste
- Read labels and buy environmentally safe products
- Buy only what you will use, or give away unused portions
- Buy latex-based paint
Packaging Your Household Hazardous Waste
- All items need to be labeled, secured and placed in a box(es) no larger than 16”x12”x12”
- Label boxes ‘HHW’ so teams know to pick them up
- If a hazardous chemical no longer has the original label, use tape and a marker to create a label for it
- Items need to be contained to prevent spills; spilled or leaking packages will not be collected.
WARNING: Do NOT pack hazardous chemicals or materials that would result in toxic fumes, fires or explosions if combined in the same box!
To dispose of motor oil, Please contact your local auto parts store or shop. Typically these establishments will let dispose of your used oil free of charge.