Household Hazardous Waste

Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event

The City of Surprise offers Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events at different times throughout the year to help protect the environment by properly disposing items which may contain harmful chemicals. These events are open to Surprise residents only and proof of residency is required (driver’s license/city utility bill).

 October 13, 2018


8:00 a.m. - noon
Public Works Maintenance Yard
13433 W. Foxfire Drive
• From Bell Rd, turn on Dysart Road and follow signs to the entrance off Firefox Rd.
• Proof of Residency is required.
• Seal items in their original container or clearly label all items not in their original container and place in a cardboard box.
• Remain in your vehicle, event staff will remove materials from your vehicle.
Acceptable Items:
• Antifreeze, car batteries, motor oil, gasoline, diesel, and fuel additives
• Brake-transmission-power steering fluid, degreasers
• Pool chemicals, fire extinguishers and gas cylinders
• Compact fluorescent light bulbs
• Stain, varnish, turpentine, cleaners, adhesives
• Paint, paint thinners, solvents, cleaners, adhesives
• Pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers and other lawn chemicals
• Freezers, refrigerators ( no RV refrigerators with ammonia)
• TVs, electronics, cell phones, computers, stereos
• Up to 5 auto tires (no rims and no truck, tires )
• Washers, dryers, water heaters, stoves, dishwashers, evaporative coolers
Items not Accepted:
• Regular refuse and bulk trash
• Bio–medical waste
• Commercial waste
• Ammunition or explosives
• RV refrigerators that contain ammonia
• Radioactive material
Question? Call 623.222.1900

Tips to Reduce Hazardous Waste

  • Read labels and buy environmentally safe products
  • Buy only what you will use, or give away unused portions
  • Buy latex-based paint


Paint, if completely dried, may be disposed of in the regular trash collection. Latex paint (paint that can be cleaned up with water) should be air-dried in its container away from children and pets. When the paint is completely solidified, the can and its contents can be thrown away.

Solvent-based. Air drying liquid solvent-based paint (paint that can only be cleaned up with turpentine or other solvents) is generally not recommended. If the paint has become completely solidified, it can be disposed of in the regular trash collection. If there is a small amount of paint leftover in the can, dry it out by adding an absorbent material such as cat litter. Otherwise, it should be considered household hazardous waste.

Motor Oil

To dispose of motor oil, Please contact you local auto parts store or shop. Typically these establishments will let dispose of your used oil free of charge.