Utility Rates Information
Utility Rate Study
To continue delivering the high quality, health and safety supporting solid waste services Surprise customers expect and deserve while meeting future development demands, the city must periodically adjust utility base rates to sufficiently recover the costs incurred to operate, maintain and provide these services.
The city reviews the rates and creates five-year structure schedules based on the revenues required to operate utilities and maintain infrastructure while also considering asset replacement and emergency funding needs; the previous Rate Study was conducted in 2014. Economic influences such as increases in operational resources and future growth are also considered when adjusting the rates.
During the Regular City Council Meeting on Tuesday, February 19, Council approved the 2019 Utility Rate Study schedule, effectively adjusting the five-year rate schedule for city-serviced solid waste customers. The new rates become effective July 1.
FY2020-2024 Rate Schedule:
|Current Rate||July 1, 2019||July 1, 2020||July 1, 2021||July 1, 2022||July 1, 2023|
Residential wastewater and water utility rates will remain unchanged in fiscal years 2020-2024.
To learn if you are a Surprise solid waste utility customer, visit My Surprise Address.
Monthly wastewater base charges for commercial customers would also remain unchanged however; the industry volume rate categories and volume charges will be modified. For some businesses this may mean an increase in monthly bills; some businesses will see no change or a decrease in monthly bills. These commercial rates changes would go into effect July 1, 2019 and would not change again through FY 2024.
Rate Study Timeline:
- December 18, 2018: Public ‘Notice of Intent to Increase Rates’
- February 19, 2019: Public hearing; Council approved Utility Rate Study Schedule
- July 1, 2019: New base rates effective
Rate Study Report:
- November 6, 2018 Council Work Session Presentation
- December 18, 2018 Council Regular Meeting Presentation
- February 19, 2019 Council Regular Meeting - Public Hearing Presentation
- February 19, 2019 Council Regular Meeting Rate Adoption
Have questions about the Rate Study? Contact Surprise Public Works Director Mike Gent, Mike.email@example.com.
On May 17, 2016 Council approved the adoption of a Stormwater Utility to oversee our stormwater infrastructure and provide our citizens and businesses with a managed plan for runoff during heavy rains.
On March 4, 2014 Council approved a 5 year plan which affects residents receiving services from the City of Surprise. This plan does not affect residents who are customers of private water or sanitation companies.
Utility services operate on a cost-recovery basis. The study included a 10-year forecast to ensure rates match the expected costs of regulatory requirements and the demand for water, wastewater, sanitation and stormwater.
Why a 5-year plan?
Costs can be fairly accurately anticipated over a 5-year period.
The 5-year plan: highlights
- Does not raise wastewater rates
- Gradually increases water rates (see table below)
- Implements a 2% increase July 1, 2018 (FY19) for trash collection (sanitation). This is a 33 cent monthly increase to an average customer.
- The new rates become effective August 1, 2014, and each July 1 through 2018.
Typical Combined Residential Bill under the 5-Year Plan
(3/4" meter with 9,000 gallons potable)