Development Impact Fees
The City of Surprise has experienced tremendous growth in past decades. To ensure new growth pays its proportionate share of infrastructure costs, development impact fees are collected by cities and towns to evenly and fairly distribute the burden of facility capacity to serve new development. These one-time charges are assessed to new development by local governments to recover the proportional cost of facilities benefiting new development based on specific calculations using standardized assessment schedules. Each development project pays a proportionate share of the cost of new infrastructure or necessary public services needed to support the new development.
Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) §9-463.05 provides a framework for cities and towns to assess, collect and administer development fees.
As required by law, the city of Surprise retained the services of an outside consultant to complete an update of the City’s development impact fees for compliance with the requirements of ARS 9-463.05. The following documents and timeframe outline the City’s process for updating and adopting new fees.
Currently Adopted Development Impact Fee Documents
- Development Services Fee Schedule
- Land Use Assumptions & Infrastructure Improvements Plan
(Adopted by City Council March 11, 2019)
- 2014 Development Impact Fee Study
Proposed Development Impact Fee Documents
- Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - Council Work Session: LUA and IIP, Publish LUA and IIP, Notice of Public Hearing
- Thursday, December 13, 2018 - Stakeholder Meeting 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. in Council Chambers
- Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - Stakeholder Meeting 10 -11 a.m. in Surprise City Hall 1st Floor Community Room
Tuesday, January 22, 2019Tuesday, February 5, 2019 - Public Hearing: LUA and IIP
- Tuesday, February 5, 2019 - Council Work Session: Development Impact Fees
Tuesday, March 5, 2019Monday, March 11, 2019 - LUA and IIP adoption Wednesday , March 6, 2019Tuesday, March 12, 2019 - Notice of Intent and Notice of Public Hearing - Development Impact Fees Tuesday, April 9, 2019Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - Public Hearing: Development Impact Fees
- Monday, April 15, 2019 - Stakeholder Meeting 3:30 - 4:30 p.m. in Surprise City Hall 1st Floor Community Room
- Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - Development Impact Fees adoption and adoption of the amended LUA IIP
- Monday, August 5, 2019 - Development Impact Fees effective