Development Impact Fees
The City of Surprise has experienced tremendous growth in past decades. To ensure new growth pays its proportionate share of infrastructure costs, development impact fees are collected by cities and towns to evenly and fairly distribute the burden of facility capacity to serve new development. These one-time charges are assessed to new development by local governments to recover the proportional cost of facilities benefiting new development based on specific calculations using standardized assessment schedules. Each development project pays a proportionate share of the cost of new infrastructure or necessary public services needed to support the new development.
Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) §9-463.05 provides a framework for cities and towns to assess, collect and administer development fees. In April of 2011, statutory revisions were made by the approval of Senate Bill (SB) 1525 that significantly changed the requirements for development impact fees.
As required by law, the city of Surprise retained the services of an outside consultant to complete an update of the City’s development impact fees for compliance with the requirements of ARS 9-463.05. The following documents and timeframe outline the City’s process for updating and adopting new fees, including the continuation of some previous fees pledged to debt, based on the new statute.
Development Impact Fee Documents
- Tuesday, November 20, 2018 - Council Work Session: LUA and IIP, Publish LUA and IIP, Notice of Public Hearing
- TBD - Stakeholder Meeting
- Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - Public Hearing: LUA and IIP
- Tuesday, February 5, 2019 - Council Work Session: Development Impact Fees
- Tuesday, March 5, 2019 - LUA and IIP adoption
- Wednesday, March 6, 2019 - Notice of Intent and Notice of Public Hearing - Development Impact Fees
- Monday, March 25, 2019 - Stakeholder Meeting
- Tuesday, April 9, 2019 - Public Hearing: Development Impact Fees
- Wednesday, April 10, 2019 - Stakeholder Meeting
- Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - Development Impact Fees adoption
- Monday, August 5, 2019 - Development Impact Fees effective