Are you ready to Be G.R.O.S.S.? That is, Be Guardians Regarding Our Sewer System!
By visiting this page, you are taking the first step to prevent gross things from happening in your home such as clogs and, ultimately, overflows into homes and city streets. By practicing proactive prevention (pretreatment) in your home or business, you’ll help protect our city sewers and infrastructure from the damaging effects of improper disposal.
Here are a few G.R.O.S.S. tips and resources to get you started!
In your bathroom
In your kitchen
- Fight the FOG; learn how to properly dispose leftover fat, oil and grease!
In your business
Join the GROSS conversation on Instagram, @SurpriseBeGross
The city of Surprise owns and operates water reclamation facilities (WRFs) which convert wastewater to water that can be reused for other purposes. The treatment facilities are designed to reduce the quantities of organic materials, solids, and nitrogen in the wastewater, making it suitable for reuse or recharge to the aquifer. Unfortunately, WRFs are vulnerable to toxic or harmful pollutants from residential, commercial, and industrial users.
The objectives of the City’s Pretreatment Program are to:
- facilitate the control of pollutant discharges into the collection system
- resolve collection system blockage and capacity reduction issues
- protect the treatment facilities from upsets
- maintain high effluent and biosolids quality
- protect plant workers, the environment, and the public while promoting good relationships with its users