Community Outreach Program
In an effort to support and grow the quality of life in Surprise, the Mayor and City Council offer the Surprise Community Outreach Program (SCOP). The program provides financial assistance to qualified nonprofits that provide direct services to City of Surprise residents.
Applications will be accepted until Friday, April 29, 2022 by 5:00 p.m. and should be submitted using the City of Surprise Participant Portal. Grant requests can be made for $10,000 or less. Please follow the Participant Portal Step-by-Step Guide to get started.
A pre-application meeting that will include information about the program and the application process will be held:
Tuesday, April 5, 2022 at 2 p.m.
Surprise City Hall - Community Room
16000 N. Civic Center Plz
Applicants are strongly encouraged to attend this meeting.
- Applicants must provide direct services which improve the health and welfare of Surprise residents.
- Applicants that received previous funding must be current in their reporting and have submitted timely and accurate reports.
- Applicants must demonstrate the ability to generate revenue from other sources.
- All City of Surprise Community Outreach Program funding decisions made by the Surprise City Council are final.
- Approved funds shall be used for the event, program, or activity as proposed by the respective applicant and may not be used or otherwise repurposed for any other event, program, or activity. Further, the approved funds shall be spent within one (1) year of the date of award. Any funds not spent will be forfeited.
- Awarded applicants must seek reimbursement for spent, approved funds between July 1, 2022 and June 15, 2023.
- Receipt of an award does not guarantee continued support in subsequent years.
- Applicants must have enhancement of community lifestyle as their primary mission.
- Applicant must provide an event, program, or activity that makes Surprise better.
- The proposed project must take place in the City of Surprise and be open to the public.
- New applications are required for every round of funding.
- Applications must include any pertinent financial data, including a proposed budget.
- Applications are due April 29 by 5pm. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Final reports are due within thirty days of the completion of the program/event/activity. Late or incomplete final reports may hinder an applicant’s future funding eligibility.
- Quarterly updates and a final presentation to the committee may be required.
- Award recipients will acknowledge the award in all programs, press releases, and other publicity with the following credit line: “ is supported by an award from the City of Surprise Community Outreach Program.”
- All applicants agree by accepting the award that all activities surrounding the function will be open to all members of the public and no person shall be denied access to, or participation in, the events on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, or disability.
- Maximum award per applicant will be $10,000.
- Funds are provided on a reimbursement basis; no upfront monies will be distributed.
- Applicants must provide 501(c)3 verification by providing a list of the organization’s board of directors, a copy of the non-profit federal tax status 501(c)3, a copy the 501(c)3 Arizona Corporate Commission annual report and W9 Form. Or the applicant must partner with a 501(c)3 organization.
- Awarded applicants do not have authority or privileges associated with City sponsorship, donations and/or in- kind not identified within the grant award letter (example: Channel 11, Progress Magazine, rental equipment, etc.).
- Applicants must be prepared to present their proposal to the Council Sub-Committee on Community Outreach Partnerships & Grants during the May 9, 2022 meeting. The meeting is currently scheduled for 2:00 p.m. in the City Hall, Community Room, 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza.
How will I know if my application is approved?
- Official notification will be sent to all applicants following official action by the Surprise City Council.
- Successful applicants must sign and return the acceptance form before funds are awarded.
For more information, please contact Jodi Tas at 623.222.1330 or firstname.lastname@example.org.