Solicitation Ordinance

The Surprise City Council passed the Solicitation Ordinance April 12, 2011. The ordinance went into effect May 12, 2011. Read the Solicitation Ordinance

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What does the Solicitation Ordinance mean?

Solicitors are required to have a Surprise business license and may only place their advertisements (fliers, brochures, business cards, etc…) at the front door of a residence. If materials are left on a driveway, garage door, or any place other than at the front door; the solicitor will be in violation of the Solicitation Ordinance and subject to monetary fines. NOTE: Solicitors are prohibited at any residence which displays a “No Solicitation” or “No Soliciting” at or near the home address numbers.

  • What is a solicitor?

Solicitor is any person, business, or entity who attempts to make contact with an occupant of a residence either personally or through the use of a business card, handbill, brochure or flyer for the purpose of advertising or attempting to sell a good or service.

  • Are canvassers exempt from the Solicitation Ordinance?

Yes. A canvasser is a person who attempts to make personal contact with an occupant of a residence for the purpose of attempting to discuss or fund-raise for a political party, issue or candidate, religion, philosophy or ideology. Newspaper or editorial-based content is also exempt from this ordinance and is protected under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

  • How can I be sure my personal property is not solicited?

Property owners who do not want solicitors coming to their home must display signage that reads “No Solicitation” or “No Soliciting” at or near the home address numbers. Signs should be legible from a distance of 20 feet. NOTE: Any variations to the wording above; or "Do Not Disturb” or “No Trespassing” signs are not acceptable in prohibiting solicitation under the Solicitation Ordinance.

  • How do I report a Solicitation Ordinance violation?

Reports of solicitation violations should be reported to the City of Surprise Code Enforcement Division at (623) 222-3013 or Code Enforcement’s (623) 222-3013 phone number is staffed Mon- Fri, 8 am – 5 pm. Please leave a voicemail message during non-business hours. NOTE: Do not call the Police Department to report a solicitation violation. Code Enforcement is the proper contact for reporting such violations.

  • What happens when I call in or email a solicitation violation?

You will be assigned a case number and be asked to fill out an affidavit stating circumstances surrounding the violation. You will be asked for your name and contact information. Please keep any materials that were illegally left at your home, to help in the investigation. A Code Enforcement Inspector will be assigned to your case and will contact you directly for follow-up.