Planning & Zoning
The Planning & Zoning Division’s primary function is to ensure that projects are developed according to government regulations and development agreements. Long Range Planning is achieved by following the city’s General Plan, which is a blueprint for future development and its impact on future growth and quality of life.
- Due Diligence Meeting Guidelines & Application Packet
- Concept Review Meeting Guidelines and Application Packet
- Meetings, Hearings & Workshops
- Planned Area Developments (PAD)
- Design Guidelines | Planning Design Guidelines
- Long Range Planning
- Development and Zoning Maps
- Surprise Heritage District (SHD)
- Prominent Commercial & Residential Projects in Surprise
- Surprise Parks & Trails Master Plan
- Medical Marijuana Location Zoning
- Wireless Facilities
- Uniform Video License
The City of Surprise accepts online submittals for building permits, plan review cases, engineering permits and construction. Please use the Plan Submittal link below to request a Dropbox link for submitting plans (Files should be PDF or Auto CAD format).
Standard Development Review Timelines can be found here .
Payment options: mailing in or placing a check in the drop-box located at the north entrance of City Hall, Wires, or ACH. For transactions under $25,000, payments can now be made online (E-Check, Visa, Master Card, Discover, or Amex) using the portal below. For wire transfer information, please contact Craig Dies at Craig.Dies@surpriseaz.gov. All payments, regardless of payment method, must be accompanied by a copy of the invoice or reference the invoice number.
Permits will be issued within three business days of your payment being processed. All submittals that were processed digitally will be e-mailed to the applicant once they have been paid, processed, and approved. The City will not issue permits and plans over the counter that were received digitally. For questions regarding permits, or items pending plan review approval, please contact Development Services at DevelopmentServices@surpriseaz.gov