- About Surprise
Welcome To Surprise, Arizona
Located about 45 minutes from downtown Phoenix, Surprise is where you can connect all aspects of your life- family, work and recreation.
Our charming community is surrounded by mountain park lands, a regional lake and pristine, open Sonoran desert.
Plus, our city limits are full of action! We offer spring training baseball, the largest tennis and racquet complex in the southwest, seven gorgeous golf courses, an urban fishing lake and two public aquatic centers.
Our neighborhoods are clean, distinctive and unique, no wonder why nine out of 10 residents surveyed recommend Surprise as a place to live and start a business!
- Population: 132,852 (July 2018 Estimate)
- Incorporated: 1960
- Size: Approx. 108 incorporated square miles; Approx. 302 square miles of planning area - Current City Limits Map
- View Community Profile
Recognition & Awards:
- Top Ten Safest City in the U.S. (Parenting Magazine 2014)
- #5 Fastest Growing City in the U.S. (WalletHub 2016)
- Global City of the Year (Global Chamber of Phoenix 2017)
- Silver Award for Partnerships with Educational Institutions – Ottawa University (International Economic Development Council 2017)
- Bronze Award for Entrepreneurship – AZ TechCelerator (International Economic Development Council 2017)
- Bronze Award for Business Retention & Expansion (Single Event) – City of Surprise Bridge-to-Business Program / Bell & Grand Campaign (International Economic Development Council 2017)
Things to Do:
- Arts & Culture: Experience the city’s public art and arts and cultural experiences and venues.
- Shopping, Dining & Entertainment: Our city has so much to offer - from unique local restaurants and retailers to the places you know and love!
- Special Events: Events and celebrations bring our community together– from vibrant festivals to free movie nights at the stadium!
- Spring Training & College Baseball: Surprise Stadium is the Spring Training home of Major League Baseball’s Kansas City Royals and Texas Rangers and host to several college baseball tournaments each year.
- Tennis: Surprise Tennis and Racquet Complex is the largest in the southwest, attracting both tennis legends and USTA tournaments! It offers 25 tennis courts; 17 are lighted for night play.
- Golf: Hit the links at one of our seven gorgeous golf courses!
- Parks, Pools & Libraries: Enjoy the skate park, dog parks and urban fishing lake! And be sure to splash around at one of our public aquatic centers.
- White Tank Mountain Regional Park: This regional park borders the city, providing 30 thousand acres of outdoor recreation.
Get closer look at the city in our “Explore Surprise” video series!
Our city was just one square mile of farmland back in 1938 when Flora Mae Statler founded it. So why did she call us Surprise? According to Statler’s daughter Elizabeth Wusich Stoft, her mother once commented "she would be surprised if the town ever amounted to much." With our success, she would indeed be surprised and proud!
You can learn more about how this once small farming community transformed into Arizona’s 10th largest-city in “The City of Surprise: A History in Progress,” a 104-page book crammed with photos and anecdotes, plus an accompanying DVD documentary set. The book is available for purchase at the Surprise History Project, or you can watch the video at www.surpriseaz.gov/surprisetv.