The City of Surprise Water Conservation Program is an important component of the City’s water resource portfolio management strategy. Its purpose is to educate and promote the efficient use of water across sectors in the community including residential, commercial, and industrial uses. Our goal is to realize reductions in per capita water use while balancing a healthy, sustainable quality of life for our residents.
Practicing a low-water-use lifestyle is one way that we can all help stretch our limited water supplies while saving time and money. Thanks to the City’s involvement at the local, regional, and national levels of water conservation education, we have access to a variety of resources to help our customers reduce their water use. Explore our pages to find water conservation resources specific to your needs.
We are here to help!
|Top 5 water-saving tips||Free resources to help|
|1. Check for indoor & outdoor leaks monthly||Smart Home Water Guide|
|2. Visit Water – Use It Wisely for water-saving tips and advice||Water – Use It Wisely|
|3. Install WaterSense®-labeled products in the home||Apply for a City of Surprise rebate (see below)|
|4. Install and appropriately maintain native and desert-adapted plants||Attend a Water-wise Surprise workshop (see below)|
|5. Create and follow a water budget for your landscape||Plant Watering Guide|
In the Phoenix-metropolitan area up to 70% of residential water use occurs outdoors. As a result, we offer water efficiency rebates to incentivize landscape upgrades that will enhance the sustainable use of water to irrigate personal and public landscaped areas.
Beginning July 1, 2021 the City will be accepting applications for three rebate-types:
- Installation of a WaterSense®-labeled irrigation controller
- Single-family new home Xeriscape landscape installation
- HOA, commercial, and multifamily turf removal
Program details including application deadlines and eligibility requirements can be found in the link below. Note: applicant must be a City of Surprise water customer to be eligible for a rebate.
To apply for the HOA turf removal rebate, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Water Conservation Workshops
Desert Lawn Care - Saturday, September 18, 8-10 a.m.
- Keeping a beautiful lawn in the desert can be challenging, let Surprise Water help you keep your yard attractive! Irrigation Specialist, Dave Pratt will cover the basics of proper maintenance, fertilizing, and watering for a beautiful, water-efficient lawn.
Watering by the Numbers - Saturday, October 16, 8-10 a.m.
- It's as easy as 1-2-3! Water wise landscaping matches how much water your plants really need with how much water your irrigation system applies. Additional topics included in this course are turf watering, irrigation system components, and controller programming.
Irrigation Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Repair - Wednesday, November 3, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Learn cost-saving tips on finding and fixing leaks, and overall irrigation system maintenance and troubleshooting.
The workshops will take place in the Surprise Water Education Center located at 16126 N. Civic Center Plaza.
Hydrate Surprise Landscape Workshops
The City of Surprise & EPCOR have partnered together to offer Watershed Management Group’s Hydrate the Valley series in Surprise. Each session is curated to offer a variety of water conservation best practices to help residents get the most out of their yards, while balancing outdoor water use in the desert. From your favorite topic, to attending the full series, we can help you build a plan to get your projects pumped!