Building Permit Resource Center
The City of Surprise accepts online submittals for building permits, plan review cases, engineering permits and construction. Plans must be submitted to the City in PDF format, using the Plan Submittal link below.
Standard Development Review Timelines can be found here.
Payment options: mailing in or placing a check in the drop-box located at the north entrance of City Hall, Wires, or ACH. For transactions under $25,000, payments can now be made online (E-Check, Visa, Master Card, Discover, or Amex) using the portal below. For wire transfer information, please contact Craig Dies at Craig.Dies@surpriseaz.gov. All payments, regardless of payment method, must be accompanied by a copy of the invoice or reference the invoice number.
Permits will be issued within three business days of your payment being processed. All submittals that were processed digitally will be e-mailed to the applicant once they have been paid, processed, and approved. The City will not issue permits and plans over the counter that were received digitally. For questions regarding permits, or items pending plan review approval, please contact Development Services at DevelopmentServices@surpriseaz.gov
Whether you are a commercial developer or a resident adding a new patio to your home, our team welcomes your business and is at your service.
We offer the following steps to help guide you along the way to ensure a pleasurable experience from plan submittal and review to permitting and final inspection.
Below is a stepped guide for obtaining a building permit in the City of Surprise.
Visit The Development Services Center
Visit our Development Services Center, conveniently located in the lobby of City Hall, 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza - map/directions.
Meet with our customer service representative at our Information Center about your needs and he or she will be able to guide you onto the next appropriate step, which may include a pre-submittal meeting or concept meeting for design services.
Go to step 2
Our helpful team is there to assist with the application submittal process; design, civil or building review, or any combination of these needs, based on your project.
- Questions about required paperwork (business license, fee assessments) are answered at this time.
- You will also receive information on who to contact for additional questions or concerns moving forward.
- We also offer pre-submittal meetings as a service to all customers to help prepare you as best we can for how to submit the proper plans for your project.
Go to Step 3
We are ready to assist with the application submittal process; design, civil or building review, or any combination of these needs, based on your project.
- Up to 10 business days for residential needs.
- Up to 16 business days for commercial developers.
Go to Step 4
Additional Plan Review
This step is necessary only if your plans require changes.
If your plans are redlined, meaning they require changes for safety or to meet city code, you will need to resubmit for an additional plan review. Remember, safety is our number one priority.
- Additional reviews take half the time as the initial plan review.
- If you or your contractor fail to meet all of the required changes, you may have to resubmit your plans until all redlined items are addressed.
Go to Step 5
Tip: Hiring a licensed design professional to generate your project plans and a registered contractor can save you time. These pros will be in tune with the latest building guidelines to ensure a safe project. Check with the Registrar of Contractors at www.azroc.gov to ensure your contractor is licensed.
Once your plans are approved, you or your contractor will be issued a permit to begin construction or installation of your project. We will contact you when your permit is ready and can be picked up at the Information Center.
Go to Step 6
Tip: Sometimes project details change once construction begins. Don’t worry, we’re at the ready to help you with any modifications you have. Call us and we’ll help you prepare for another review so that delays aren’t too lengthy. Once your modified plan is approved, you will receive a new permit.
As larger projects proceed and/or upon completion of projects; our inspection team is at your service.
- We ensure next business day inspections.
- City inspection services are available Monday – Friday, 6 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Please leave a message on our Inspection Line at 623-222-3012.
- After-hours inspections are available for an extra fee. After-hours inspection requests can be made by calling 623-222-3000.
- Any issues found will be detailed in our inspection notes, so you know what needs to be changed in order to receive a passing inspection.
Tip:Our professional field inspectors are great at reviewing last-minute changes on location, but too many last-minute changes can slow down this part of the inspection process.
Once you receive a passing final inspection, new commercial construction projects will receive a Open for Business Certificate of Occupancy. Other projects such as commercial tenant improvements, and residential alterations may not require a Certificate of Occupancy, but will receive a final inspection notice that you are ready to open to the public or utilize your new space.
We value you as a customer and will email you a customer service survey along the way to gauge your experience during the permitting, review and inspection processes. We ask that you please complete these surveys so we know how we are doing and can make improvements where needed.