Road Closures & Traffic Restrictions
Utility work to close portion of Cactus and Perryville roads beginning Feb 1
Starts: 2/01/20 Ends: 2/15/20
Cactus Road will be closed from Citrus to Perryville roads; and Perryville will be closed from Cactus to Shangri La road beginning Saturday, February 1, for utility work.
The roadways are scheduled to reopen on Saturday, February 15.
Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained during the road improvement projects.
Greenway Road (Sarival Avenue to Cotton Lane)
Starts: 8/10/20 Ends: 1/29/21
Widening to four travel lanes and the addition of a traffic signal at Greenway Road and Northwest Ranch Parkway. This project also includes provisions for drainage, sidewalks, bicycle lane, street lighting, landscaping, and turn lanes.
163rd Avenue & Jomax Road Intersection Widening
Starts: 9/23/19 Ends: 1/31/20
The city is widening the intersection of 163rd Avenue and Jomax Road
Sarival Avenue, Cactus Road to Hearn Road (closure update)
Starts: 12/05/19 Ends: 03/2020
Sarival Avenue will be closed from Cactus Road to Hearn Road through March 2020 for road improvement work. Sarival Avenue will be open to local traffic only between Greenway and Hearn roads.
Sarival Ave (Waddell Rd to Alexandria Way)
Starts: 08/01/2019 Ends: 04/20/2020
Widening to four travel lanes.
Litchfield Road (Waddell Road to N. of Peoria Avenue)
Starts: 9/30/19 Ends: 4/30/20
Widening to four travel lanes. In addition to more travel lanes, the project includes drainage infrastructure, sidewalks, bicycle lanes, street lighting and landscaping.
During the project, drivers can expect intermittent and full closures, lane restrictions and reduced speed limits.
Learn more about the Litchfield Road project and view a complete list of voter-approved Decide Surprise General Obligation Bond Projects online at surpriseaz.gov/decidesurprise.
Waddell Road (Reems Road to SR303)
Started: 8/1/19 Ends: 6/20/20
Widening to six travel lanes. Signal at Sarival Ave and Waddell Road.
In addition to more travel lanes, the project includes drainage infrastructure, sidewalks, bicycle lanes, street lighting and landscaping.
During the project, drivers can expect intermittent and full closures, lane restrictions and reduced speed limits. There will be a hard closure of the road from SR303 to Sarival Avenue mid-October thru March 2020.
Waddell Road, Loop 303 to Legacy Park Boulevard (closure update)
Waddell Road will now be closed between the Loop 303 and Legacy Park Boulevard through March 2020.
Decide Surprise GO Bond Pavement Preservation Projects begin in AugustThe first wave of Decide Surprise General Obligation (GO) Bond Pavement Preservation Projects are underway and will be complete prior to the end of 2018.
Pavement Preservation will restore the condition of many of the city’s major streets to “excellent condition” over the next two-year project work period, thus increasing safety by improving ride quality and visibility of pavement markings and by reducing stopping distance, road noise, and associated wear and tear on vehicles.
- The following areas will receive pavement preservation treatments this year:
- Dysart Road, Greenway Road to Grand Avenue (August – October)
- Greenway Road, Reems Road to Bullard Road Avenue (August – October)
- Reems Road, Bell Road to Grand Avenue (August – October)
- Waddell Road, Dysart Road, to Litchfield Road (August – October)
- Waddell and Litchfield roads Intersection (August – October)
- Cactus Road, Reems Road to Bullard Road Avenue (September – October)
- Dysart Road, Grand Avenue to Bell Road (September – October)
- Reems and Bell roads Intersection (September – October)
- Reems and Greenway roads Intersection (September – October)
- Waddell Road, Bullard Road Avenue to Reems Road (September – October)
- Reems and Cactus roads Intersection (September – November)
- Reems Road, Waddell Road to Cactus Road (October – November)
The work will take approximately three weeks per segment. All project schedules are tentative and are subject to change.
Pavement Preservation treatment on Bullard Avenue will be scheduled so as to not interfere with the construction occurring on the multi-modal safety improvement project.
- Projects slated to begin in 2019 include:
- 163rd Avenue, Grand Avenue to Jomax Road
- Reems Road, Cactus Road to Peoria Ave
- Litchfield Road, Waddell Road to Bell Road
- Greenway Road, Litchfield Road to Dysart Road
- Bell Road, just west of Dysart to just east of 115th Avenue
Funding to support GO Bond Pavement Preservation Projects was approved by Surprise voters in November 2017.
To review the scope of the GO Bond projects, construction timelines, costs and more visit www.surpriseaz.gov/decidesurprise.
For Pavement Preservation questions, please call the City at 623.222.6150.