Road Closures & Traffic Restrictions
Southbound Eastham Pkwy lane reconfiguration scheduled Nov 14
Road work to reconfigure the southbound Eastham Parkway lanes at the Bell Road intersection will take place at 3 a.m. Thursday, November 14.
The work will consist of:
- Converting the southbound Eastham Parkway through lane to a shared left turn/through lane
- Traffic signal and signing changes
- Lane restriping
East and west Bell Road traffic configurations at the intersection will remain the same.
Crews anticipate the work will be complete prior to the morning commute.
Nightly closures on Waddell Rd, Reems Rd to 157th Ave, Nov 12-Nov 18
Waddell Road, Reems Road to 157th Avenue, will be closed nightly from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. beginning Tuesday, November 12 through Monday, November 18, for utility work.
Detours will be in place; access will be maintained for emergency vehicles.
Learn more about the Waddell Road Improvement Project at surpriseaz.gov/decidesurprise.
Weekend closures of Bullard Ave, Waddell Rd to Old Oak Ln, in Nov
Bullard Avenue, Waddell Road to Old Oak Lane, will be closed from 5 a.m. Saturday, November 16 to 8 p.m. Sunday, November 17; and again, 5 a.m. Saturday, November 23 to 8 p.m. Sunday, November 24, for water well maintenance.
Access will be maintained for emergency vehicles.
Bell Rd pavement preservation, Cotton Ln to just west of 183rd Ave
Activities to prepare Bell Road, Cotton Lane to just west of 183rd Avenue, for pavement preservation are currently underway.
Overnight work to mill sections of the roadway is scheduled to begin on Monday, October 28. Paving activities will begin on Monday, November 4, and will continue through the end of the month. Roadway striping is scheduled to occur in early December.
The project completion date is Thursday, December 12, weather permitting.
During the project, drivers can expect reduced travel lanes and turn restrictions. Both daytime and overnight construction activities are planned to keep the project on schedule.
Access for residents and emergency vehicles will be maintained at all times.
163rd Avenue & Jomax Road Intersection Widening
Starts: 9/23/19 Ends: 1/31/20
The city is widening the intersection of 163rd Avenue and Jomax Road
Sarival Ave (Waddell Rd to Alexandria Way)
Starts: 08/01/2019 Ends: 04/20/2020
Widening to four travel lanes.
Litchfield Road (Waddell Road to N. of Peoria Avenue)
Starts: 9/30/19 Ends: 4/30/20
Widening to four travel lanes. In addition to more travel lanes, the project includes drainage infrastructure, sidewalks, bicycle lanes, street lighting and landscaping.
During the project, drivers can expect intermittent and full closures, lane restrictions and reduced speed limits.
Learn more about the Litchfield Road project and view a complete list of voter-approved Decide Surprise General Obligation Bond Projects online at surpriseaz.gov/decidesurprise.
Waddell Road (Reems Road to SR303)
Started: 8/1/19 Ends: 6/20/20
Widening to six travel lanes. Signal at Sarival Ave and Waddell Road.
In addition to more travel lanes, the project includes drainage infrastructure, sidewalks, bicycle lanes, street lighting and landscaping.
During the project, drivers can expect intermittent and full closures, lane restrictions and reduced speed limits. There will be a hard closure of the road from SR303 to Sarival Avenue mid-October thru mid-January.
Greenway Road (Sarival Avenue to Cotton Lane)
Starts: 8/10/20 Ends: 1/29/21
Widening to four travel lanes and the addition of a traffic signal at Greenway Road and Northwest Ranch Parkway. This project also includes provisions for drainage, sidewalks, bicycle lane, street lighting, landscaping, and turn lanes.
Decide Surprise GO Bond Pavement Preservation Projects begin in AugustThe first wave of Decide Surprise General Obligation (GO) Bond Pavement Preservation Projects are underway and will be complete prior to the end of 2018.
Pavement Preservation will restore the condition of many of the city’s major streets to “excellent condition” over the next two-year project work period, thus increasing safety by improving ride quality and visibility of pavement markings and by reducing stopping distance, road noise, and associated wear and tear on vehicles.
- The following areas will receive pavement preservation treatments this year:
- Dysart Road, Greenway Road to Grand Avenue (August – October)
- Greenway Road, Reems Road to Bullard Road Avenue (August – October)
- Reems Road, Bell Road to Grand Avenue (August – October)
- Waddell Road, Dysart Road, to Litchfield Road (August – October)
- Waddell and Litchfield roads Intersection (August – October)
- Cactus Road, Reems Road to Bullard Road Avenue (September – October)
- Dysart Road, Grand Avenue to Bell Road (September – October)
- Reems and Bell roads Intersection (September – October)
- Reems and Greenway roads Intersection (September – October)
- Waddell Road, Bullard Road Avenue to Reems Road (September – October)
- Reems and Cactus roads Intersection (September – November)
- Reems Road, Waddell Road to Cactus Road (October – November)
The work will take approximately three weeks per segment. All project schedules are tentative and are subject to change.
Pavement Preservation treatment on Bullard Avenue will be scheduled so as to not interfere with the construction occurring on the multi-modal safety improvement project.
- Projects slated to begin in 2019 include:
- 163rd Avenue, Grand Avenue to Jomax Road
- Reems Road, Cactus Road to Peoria Ave
- Litchfield Road, Waddell Road to Bell Road
- Greenway Road, Litchfield Road to Dysart Road
- Bell Road, just west of Dysart to just east of 115th Avenue
Funding to support GO Bond Pavement Preservation Projects was approved by Surprise voters in November 2017.
To review the scope of the GO Bond projects, construction timelines, costs and more visit www.surpriseaz.gov/decidesurprise.
For Pavement Preservation questions, please call the City at 623.222.6150.