Road Closures & Traffic Restrictions
Bullard Ave Improvement Project update; overnight work to stripe crosswalks scheduled for Oct 17
The Bullard Avenue Improvement Project remains on schedule to be substantially complete in mid-November, weather permitting; full project completion will be achieved in early 2019.
Work to temporarily stripe crosswalks at Acoma Drive and Sweetwater Avenue will occur overnight on Wednesday, October 17. Crews will begin working in the intersections at 12 a.m.; police officers will be onsite to assist with traffic control. The crosswalks will be permanently striped after the traffic signals are posted.
Weekend work is scheduled for Saturday October 13 and Saturday October 20, weather permitting.
Scheduled work hours for this week are Mondays – Saturdays, 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.; in certain cases, daily work hours may begin earlier to allow crews to work while traffic is minimal.
- Traffic signal work at Acoma Drive continues; project crews will be working on all four corners of the intersection for the next three weeks. Sidewalks may be closed intermittently while the work is occurring.
- Work in the medians, including landscape irrigation, paving and median signage, continues.
- Asphalt removal for modified curbs east of the medians begins.
- The speed limit in the construction area remains 25 mph, except in school zones where the speed limit is 15 mph. Please proceed with caution through the project area and remember to Drive Wise, Surprise!
Learn more about the project at surpriseaz.gov/bullard.
Decide Surprise GO Bond Pavement Preservation Projects begin in August
The first wave of Decide Surprise General Obligation (GO) Bond Pavement Preservation Projects are underway and will be complete prior to the end of 2018.
Pavement Preservation will restore the condition of many of the city’s major streets to “excellent condition” over the next two-year project work period, thus increasing safety by improving ride quality and visibility of pavement markings and by reducing stopping distance, road noise, and associated wear and tear on vehicles.
The work will take approximately three weeks per segment. All project schedules are tentative and are subject to change.
- The following areas will receive pavement preservation treatments this year:
- Dysart Road, Greenway Road to Grand Avenue (August – October)
- Greenway Road, Reems Road to Bullard Road Avenue (August – October)
- Reems Road, Bell Road to Grand Avenue (August – October)
- Waddell Road, Dysart Road, to Litchfield Road (August – October)
- Waddell and Litchfield roads Intersection (August – October)
- Cactus Road, Reems Road to Bullard Road Avenue (September – October)
- Dysart Road, Grand Avenue to Bell Road (September – October)
- Reems and Bell roads Intersection (September – October)
- Reems and Greenway roads Intersection (September – October)
- Waddell Road, Bullard Road Avenue to Reems Road (September – October)
- Reems and Cactus roads Intersection (September – November)
- Reems Road, Waddell Road to Cactus Road (October – November)
Pavement Preservation treatment on Bullard Avenue will be scheduled so as to not interfere with the construction occurring on the multi-modal safety improvement project.
Funding to support GO Bond Pavement Preservation Projects was approved by Surprise voters in November 2017.
- Projects slated to begin in 2019 include:
- 163rd Avenue, Grand Avenue to Jomax Road
- Reems Road, Cactus Road to Peoria Ave
- Litchfield Road, Waddell Road to Bell Road
- Greenway Road, Litchfield Road to Dysart Road
- Bell Road, just west of Dysart to just east of 115th Avenue
To review the scope of the GO Bond projects, construction timelines, costs and more visit www.surpriseaz.gov/decidesurprise.
For Pavement Preservation questions, please call the City at 623.222.6150.