If my home is in the CAGRD, how does it work?
Your water provider will pump groundwater to serve your water demands. At the end of each year, your water provider will file a report with the CAGRD, which indicates the amount of groundwater delivered to your home during the previous 12 months. The CAGRD will determine an amount (based on all of the water provider reports in the Phoenix Active Management Areas (AMA), on how much groundwater needs to be recharged (or replenished) to satisfy state regulations. The cost to replenish the groundwater you used will show up as a line item on your annual property tax statement from the county treasurer. You will pay the CAGRD portion of your tax bill just as you pay your property taxes. For most homeowners, this will end up being part of your regular monthly house payment.

The county will transfer the funds it collects to the CAGRD for use in buying and recharging enough renewable water supplies to replenish the amount you used. When all is said and done, you will have done your part to help protect Arizona’s future water supplies by paying to replenish the groundwater you use.

Show All Answers

Q: Who is my water provider?
Q: How do I start / stop my water service?
Q: Who do I call to get my water meter installed?
Q: Who do I call if I think my water meter is reading incorrectly?
Q: Is all water in the City of Surprise chlorinated?
Q: Why does my water taste or smell like chlorine?
Q: Water Conservation Information
Q: Who is my sewer provider?
Q: What do I do if sewage is backing up into my house?
Q: How large is the city’s water system?
Q: Where does our water come from?
Q: Where are the Special Planning Areas (SPA) in Surprise?
Q: How does the "CAGRD" ensure future water supply?
Q: If my home is in the CAGRD, how does it work?
Q: What is McMicken Dam?
Q: What are the regulations that govern the water resources for Surprise?
Q: What is recycled water?
Q: What are the benefits and advantages of recycled water?
Q: What shouldn’t recycled water be used for?
Q: What class of recycled water does Surprise produce and what can it be used for?
Q: Where does Surprise's recycled water go?
Q: Is recycled water safe?
Q: Does recycled water have an odor or does it stain?
Q: What do I need to become an approved/permitted Backflow Tester within the city of Surprise?
Q: Why do I need two test gauges?
Q: Will the Backflow Tester be able to tell the difference between the recycled water devices and the potable water devices?
Q: Where or to whom do we send the backflow test reports?
Q: Do I need to renew my backflow documentation?
Q: If I have any further questions about the Backflow Program, whom can I contact?