Surprise residents will be able to schedule appointments to have hazardous waste picked up directly from their homes during the City’s winter Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event.
Call between January 19 - 27 to schedule a pickup.
Scheduled pickups will occur:
January 31 - February 4: North of Bell
February 7 - February 10: South of Bell
Here’s how residents can participate:
- Residents can request an appointment through the My Surprise app or by calling Customer Service at 623.222.1920 beginning 8 a.m. January 19 through 5 p.m. January 27.
**The call center will not accept appointment requests before January 19 or after January 27; residents attempting to make an appointment before January 25 will be asked to call back when scheduling begins.
- When calling, customer service representatives will schedule the best available appointment; representatives will inquire about what items are to be collected, discuss volume limitations and direct how items are to be packed. View online checklist.
- Acceptable items will need to be placed outside on the driveway and up against the garage, by 6 a.m. on the scheduled collection date. Do NOT place hazardous waste on sidewalks or curbside.
- Properly packaged, sealed and labeled items will be picked up between the hours of 6 a.m. - 4 p.m. on the scheduled collection date.
Keep in mind; this is not a bulk trash appointment. Residents can schedule bulk trash and appliance pickup services any time throughout the year. See a full list of bulk trash acceptable items online at surpriseaz.gov/bulktrash.
Acceptable household hazardous waste items:
- Antifreeze, motor oil, gasoline, diesel and fuel additives (5 gallon limit per household)
- Brake-transmission-power steering fluid, degreasers (5 gallon limit per household)
- Car and household batteries
- Pool chemicals, fire extinguishers and gas cylinders
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Stain, varnish, turpentine, cleaners, adhesives
- Oil-based paint, paint thinners, solvents, cleaners, adhesives (10 gallon limit per household)
- Pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers and other lawn chemicals
- TVs, electronics, cell phones, computers, stereos
Please be aware that there are volume limitations for liquid items such as oil-based paints and automotive fluids.
The following items will NOT be accepted:
- Regular refuse and bulk trash
- Medical waste
- Commercial waste
- Ammunition or explosives
- RV refrigerators that contain ammonia
- Radioactive material
View the HHW checklist to learn more details about the HHW collection event, including packing instructions. For more information, visit surpriseaz.gov/HHWevent.