The Surprise City Council voted Monday night to disperse an additional $100,000 in Small Business Relief Grant funding, while expanding the scope of assistance to include small business retailers and non-profits with commercial space who were not restricted by the Governor's executive orders. Council also approved an additional $25,000 for water utility payment relief.
Like the original grant program, which closed October 30, the Small Business Relief Grant 2.0 program seeks to distribute funding to businesses in Surprise who have been affected by COVID-19, have fewer than 25 employees and less than $2 million in revenues. The grant dollars are intended to assist with rent, utilities, payroll expenses and other necessary operating costs.
The grant categories are as follows:
- Category 1 (up to $1,500): Hair salons, barber shops, massage therapy, nail salons
- Category 2 (up to $2,500): Restaurants with no indoor or no fully enclosed dining
- Category 3a (up to $5,000): Restaurants with indoor or fully enclosed dining;
Small (less than 4,500 sf) fitness, dance, yoga, gymnastics studios/centers/facilities etc.
- NEW! Category 3b (up to $5,000): Non-profits in commercial space
- NEW! Category 3c (up to $5,000): Retail businesses in commercial space
- Category 4 (up to $7,500): Bars / series 6 or 7 licenses
- Category 5 (up to $10,000): Large (more than 4,500 sf) Gyms, Fitness clubs
Applications for the Small Business Relief Grant 2.0 program are expected to open the week of November 9 and close December 11, 2020 or until funds last.
Applying for the grant does not guarantee that funding will be awarded, and each business entity may apply only once. Businesses who were awarded funding as part of the original grant program, are not eligible for additional funding through the 2.0 program.
For eligibility requirements, the application and more, please visit www.surpriseaz.gov/smallbusinessgrant. (Please note this information may not be available until the application period opens).
Water Utility Assistance
City Council also approved $25,000 to help qualifying residents pay their water bills. This comes after $15,000 was approved by Council for this purpose in September and has since been depleted.
For assistance, please call the Surprise Resource Center HOPE line at 623.222.4673.