The city’s DevelopNEXT effort to simplify and modernize its development and design standards is nearing the finish line, with public hearings set and final drafts of the Land Development Ordinances (LDO) and Planning and Engineering Design Standards (PEDS) available for both the general public and stakeholders to provide comments.
The final drafts of the LDO and PEDS documents are available for review and comment on the City’s website at surpriseaz.gov/developnext. A comparison table is also available on the website, which displays the differences between the current LDO and the proposed code in a simplified format.
These final drafts will be presented for consideration and action at the following Public Hearings:
- Planning and Zoning Commission Meeting – November 19, 2020 at 6:00 p.m., Surprise City Hall - City Council Chambers, 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza
- City Council Regular Meeting – December 15, 2020 at 6:00 p.m., Surprise City Hall - City Council Chambers, 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza
Please see the Public Notice for additional details.
The current drafts were developed after several rounds of draft documents were posted online and presented at stakeholder meetings to address questions and gather feedback.
Through the DevelopNEXT update, we will be able to:
- Align our ordinances and design standards with the values described in the Surprise General Plan 2035
- Implement new state statutes and federal guidelines
- Improve the City’s standards for site development, open space, architectural design
- Consolidate the City’s design standards guides into one document
- Simplify and clarify the structure/organization of the documents and the rules within them, making them easier to read, administer and enforce
To learn more about DevelopNEXT, please visit surpriseaz.gov/developnext.