The city’s DevelopNEXT effort to simplify and modernize its development and design standards is advancing with a new draft available for both the general public and stakeholders to provide comments related to Land Development Ordinances (LDO) and Planning and Engineering Design Standards (PEDS).
The newest updates to the draft LDO and PEDS documents are available for review on city’s website at surpriseaz.gov/developnext. Comment boxes are also available to submit feedback.
Additionally, several meetings will be held before the end of the year to present the changes and gather questions and comments.
The following is the timeline for those meetings (dates are subject to change):
- Development Community Stakeholder Meetings - held virtually in August and September
- Public Outreach Meetings - held virtually in September with advanced public notice of date and time
- Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council Presentations – Several presentations in September, October and November
- Public Hearings - at Planning and Zoning in November, and City Council in December (for final action).
Please visit the website at surpriseaz.gov/developnext for exact dates and additional details.
Through the DevelopNEXT update, we will be able to:
- Align our ordinances and design standards with the values described in our city’s General Plan 2035
- Implement new state statutes and federal guidelines
- Improve the city’s standards for site, open space, architectural design
- Consolidate the city’s design standards guides into one document
- Simplify and clarify the structure/organization of the documents and the rules within them, making them easier to read, administer and enforce
To learn more about DevelopNEXT, please visit surpriseaz.gov/developnext.