The city’s DevelopNEXT effort to simplify and modernize its development and design standards is advancing, with drafts of chapters 104 and 105 of the Land Development Ordinances (LDO) online for public and stakeholder review and comment.
The purpose of the LDO is to regulate things like: housing density, commercial uses, industrial uses, building types, setback & heights, connectivity, landscaping, lighting, open space and parking requirements.
Chapter 104 covers Fundamental Development Requirements. Chapter 105 covers Buildings and Building Regulations and has no substantial changes during this update. The city is preparing for the upcoming changes to the various international codes that regulate building permits for commercial and residential construction as well as fire safety standards. That process will complete the Chapter 105 revision separately from the current LDO update.
The Planning and Engineering Design Standards (PEDS) Manual and Chapters 101-103 of the LDO are also still available online for review and comment.
Additional draft chapters will be made available over the next several months.
Through the DevelopNEXT update, we will be able to:
• Align our ordinances and design standards with the values described in our city’s General Plan 2035
• Implement new state statutes and federal guidelines
• Improve the city’s standards for site, open space, architectural design
• Consolidate the city’s design standards guides into one document
• Simplify and clarify the structure/organization of the documents and the rules within them, making them easier to read, administer and enforce
To review and comment on the available drafts and to learn more about DevelopNEXT, please visit surpriseaz.gov/developnext.