Free tax preparation assistance available for qualified households
Surprise, AZ (January 8, 2020) The Human Services and Community Vitality Department is partnering with A New Leaf to offer free tax preparation services to benefit individuals and families with low to moderate income.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) offers IRS trained and certified volunteers to assist households that make less than $56,000 and need help processing their annual income tax returns. VITA sites not only offer free tax preparation, they also help taxpayers apply for benefits they may not be aware of such as the Earned Income Tax Credit.
Tax preparation assistance will be available January 27 through April 14 at the Surprise Resource Center, 12425 W. Bell Rd, Suite 124, on Mondays and Tuesdays from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. No appointment is necessary; walk-ins are welcome.
VITA assistance will also be available at Riverboat Bingo, 18300 W. Bell Rd, on Wednesdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning January 29 to April 15.
VITA site visitors should bring the following items with them:
- For married filing joint returns, both Taxpayer and Spouse must be present to sign the tax returns before it is electronically filed
- Proof of photo identifications (need both Taxpayer and Spouse for Married Filing Joint Returns)
- Social Security cards or ITIN and Birth dates for EVERYONE on the tax return
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, SSA-1099, 1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements (Forms 1099-INT, 1099-DIV)
- Information for all other income (Pensions Form 1099-R, Social Security Statement Form 1099-SSA, Sale of stocks & bonds Form 1099-B)
- Documents for medical deductions, property taxes paid, mortgage interest, auto registration, charity contributions – all added up individually
- Form 1098-T from educational institution to claim education credits
- Amount paid to day care provider, their tax ID number and address
- Forms 1095-A (Healthcare Marketplace), 1095-B or 1095-C
- Unmasked copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
- Proof of bank routing and account number
For more information, call 623.222.1600.