DevelopNEXT: Give Input on Draft Land Development Ordinances
Surprise, AZ (December 11, 2019) The city’s DevelopNEXT effort to simplify and modernize its development and design standards is advancing, with drafts of chapters 101 -108 of the Land Development Ordinances (LDO) online for public and stakeholder review and comment.
The purpose of the LDO is to regulate things like: housing density, commercial uses, industrial uses, building types, setback & heights, connectivity, landscaping, lighting, open space and parking requirements.
The drafts of Chapters 101-105 are now online as second versions after going out for public and stakeholder review earlier this year, as well as before the Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council at a Work Session. The chapters cover:
- Ch 101: General/Administrative Provisions
- Ch 102: Review and Approval
- Ch 103: Enforcement
- Ch 104: Fundamental Development Requirements
- Ch 105: Buildings and Building Regulations
Chapters 106-108 are open for public and stakeholder comment for the first time. Chapter 106 includes the Primary & Accessory Land Use Matrix. The chapters cover:
- Ch 106: Zoning Code
- Ch 107: Design Requirements
- Ch 108: Land Division
In addition, the Planning & Engineering Design Standards (PEDS) Manual remains online for continued comment.
Through the DevelopNEXT update, we will be able to:
- Align our ordinances and design standards with the values described in our city’s General Plan 2035
- Implement new state statutes and federal guidelines
- Improve the city’s standards for site, open space, architectural design
- Consolidate the city’s design standards guides into one document
- Simplify and clarify the structure/organization of the documents and the rules within them, making them easier to read, administer and enforce
To review and comment on the available drafts and to learn more about DevelopNEXT, please visit surpriseaz.gov/developnext.