Schedule your Household Hazardous Waste Collection appointments beginning Sept 9
Surprise, AZ (August 22, 2019) Following the success of the spring 2019 Household Hazardous Waste “pilot” event, the city will continue with the scheduled appointment format to make Household Hazardous Waste Collection events more convenient for residents who need to dispose of unwanted household hazardous waste.
Surprise residents will be able to schedule appointments to have hazardous waste picked up directly from their homes beginning September 9-27.
Scheduled pickups will occur Monday, September 30 – Friday, October 11. To streamline the process, households north of Bell Road will have scheduled pickups September 30 – October 4. Households south of Bell Road will have their scheduled items picked up October 7 – 11.
Here’s how residents can participate:
- Beginning September 9, residents can request an appointment through the My Surprise app or by calling Customer Service at 623.222.1920.
- When calling, customer service representatives will schedule the best available appointment; representatives will inquire about what items are to be collected, discuss volume limitations, and direct how items are to be packed. View online checklist.
- Acceptable items will need to be placed outside, on the driveway and up against the garage, by 6 a.m. on the scheduled collection date. Do NOT place hazardous waste on sidewalks or curbside.
- Properly-packaged, sealed and labeled items will be picked up between the hours of 6 a.m. – 4 p.m. on the scheduled collection date.
Keep in mind; this is not a bulk trash appointment. Residents can schedule bulk trash and appliance pickup services any time throughout the year. See a full list of bulk trash acceptable items online at surpriseaz.gov/bulktrash.
Acceptable household hazardous waste items:
- Antifreeze, motor oil, gasoline, diesel and fuel additives (5 gallon limit per household)
- Brake-transmission-power steering fluid, degreasers (5 gallon limit per household)
- Car and household batteries
- Pool chemicals, fire extinguishers and gas cylinders
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Stain, varnish, turpentine, cleaners, adhesives
- Oil-based paint, paint thinners, solvents, cleaners, adhesives (10 gallon limit per household)
- Pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers and other lawn chemicals
- TVs, electronics, cell phones, computers, stereos
Please be aware that there are volume limitations for liquid items such as oil-based paints and automotive fluids.
The following items will NOT be accepted:
- Regular refuse and bulk trash
- Medical waste
- Commercial waste
- Ammunition or explosives
- RV refrigerators that contain ammonia
- Radioactive material
View the HHW checklist to learn more details about the HHW collection event, including packing instructions. For more information, visit surpriseaz.gov/hhwevent.