Become a Volunteer on Surprise Fire-Medical’s Community Emergency Response Team
Surprise, AZ (April 8, 2019) The Surprise Fire-Medical Department is offering free Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training for residents interested in volunteering in an emergency or disaster situation.
CERT is a FEMA program that educates volunteers about disaster preparedness for the hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.
The course covers:
- Disaster Preparedness: Addresses hazards specific to the community. Materials cover actions that participants and their families take before, during and after a disaster as well as an overview of CERT and local laws governing volunteers.
- Fire Suppression: Covers fire chemistry, hazardous materials, fire hazards and fire suppression strategies. However, the thrust of this session is the safe use of fire extinguishers, controlling utilities and extinguishing a small fire.
- Medical Operations Part I: Participants practice diagnosing and treating airway obstruction, bleeding and shock by using simple triage and rapid treatment techniques.
- Medical Operations Part II: Covers evaluating patients by doing a head to toe assessment, establishing a medical treatment area and performing basic first aid.
- Light Search and Rescue Operations: Participants learn about search and rescue planning, size-up, search techniques, rescue techniques and rescuer safety.
- Psychology and Team Organization: Covers signs and symptoms that might be experienced by the disaster victim and workers, and addresses CERT organization and management.
- Disaster Simulation: Participants review and practice the skills they have learned in a simulated disaster activity.
Thanks to grant funding from the Arizona Department of Homeland Security, the Surprise Fire-Medical Department is hosting a free CERT certification session this summer.
May 7, 9, 11, 14, 16, 18
Tuesday and Thursday classes are 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.; Saturday classes are 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
All sessions must be completed for certification; makeup classes will not be offered.
Classes will be held in the Surprise Fire-Medical Administration Building, 14250 W Statler Plaza, Suite 101, Surprise, AZ 85374.
For more information, or to register for the CERT training, please contact the Surprise Fire-Medical Department at 623.222.5000. Please note that seating is limited.