accepting applications for D2 council seat vacated by death of Hayden
Surprise, AZ (January 3, 2018) The city of Surprise is currently accepting applications for the position of Councilmember District 2 (Cottonwood) due to the death of Councilmember Jim Hayden.
All applicants must reside within the District 2 district boundaries. The term expiration for the appointment will be December 31, 2018 and the remainder of the four-year term will be placed on the next scheduled Council election in August 2018 per ARS 9-235 (The council shall fill a vacancy that may occur by appointment until the next regularly scheduled council election if the vacancy occurs more than thirty days before the nomination petition deadline. This subsection does not apply to a charter city). The Interview/Selection process is as follows:
Section 2-22 of the Surprise City Code – Council/District Vacancy:
(1) Vacancies in district office will be advertised beginning no later than 14 days from the date the vacancy is created when caused by death, and seven days from the date the vacancy is created in all other cases. The city clerk will advertise all vacancies in at least one newspaper with local circulation, on the city website, and in all designated posting locations during the application acceptance period. (Date of Advertisement – Wednesday, January 3, 2018).
(2) All eligible persons interested in filling the district vacancy must submit an application to the city clerk's office prior to the close of the acceptance period. The application acceptance period will end at 5:00 p.m. on the 14th day following the placement of the advertisement as required by subsection (1) of this section. (Wednesday, January 17, 2018).
(3) No later than the end of the business day following the close of the application acceptance period, the city clerk will forward to the mayor and council and post on the city website a copy of all applications submitted during the application acceptance period (Thursday, January 18, 2018).
(4) The council will interview each applicant at a public hearing held no later than ten days following the close of the application acceptance period, followed by a seven-day period during which public comment may be submitted to the city clerk's office (Interview/Public Hearing – Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 6:00 p.m. & Close of Comments (Tuesday, January 30, 2018 – 5:00 p.m.).
(5) No later than the end of the business day following the close of the public comment period, the city clerk will forward to the mayor and council and post on the city website a copy of all comments submitted during the comment period (Wednesday, January 31, 2018).
(6) A district candidate must be selected no later than the second regularly scheduled council meeting following the public hearing (Tuesday, February 6, 2018 – 6:00 p.m.).
Applications are available for pick up the City Clerk’s Office located at 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza, starting on Wednesday, January 3, 2018 – 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday, and the closing date will be Wednesday, January 17, 2018 – 5:00 p.m. Interviews will be scheduled for Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at a 6 p.m. Special Council Meeting. Selection of the applicant will take place on Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. Regular Council Meeting. Applications are also available online at www.surpriseaz.gov, under City Clerk section. Please submit applications to the City Clerk’s Office.
Special Note: Candidate election packets will also be available starting on Wednesday, January 3, 2018 – 8:00 a.m. for interested residents of District 2, to serve for the remainder of the four-year term ending in December 2020. Please contact City Clerk, Sherry Ann Aguilar at 623-222-1220 for details.