View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
14250 W. Statler Plaza
Surprise, Arizona 85374
|For Immediate Release
||November 25, 2013
||Sergeant Mike Donovan
Public Information Officer
Holiday Safety Tips
Surprise, AZ (November 25, 2013)…The Surprise Police Department would like to remind residents that the City of Surprise remains one of the safest cities in Arizona. But, we still would like to provide everyone with some holiday safety tips:
Don’t “flash” large amounts of money in public. You never know who might be watching. Only take as much cash or only the credit cards needed with you on each trip.
- When you are out of the house, don’t leave presents in plain view. These can be very tempting targets for burglars.
- Don’t leave empty boxes to high dollar items where criminals can see them. This alerts them to the likelihood that these items are inside.
- If you are leaving home for the holidays, please give your house the appearance of being occupied. Leave lights on and leave a radio tuned to a talk radio station on loudly. From outside it will appear people are home and it will sound like conversations are taking place inside.
- Lock your car and place valuables in the trunk or, better yet, remove them completely. The majority of thefts in our city occur from unlocked vehicles or those vehicles where items of value are left in plain sight.
- Use the buddy system. There is safety in numbers when out shopping, traveling or exercising off those extra helpings of holiday food.
- Please enjoy the holiday season but also be aware of what is going on around you. The more aware you are of your surroundings, the safer you are.
- And last but not least - “When in doubt, call us out!”
Please contact the Surprise Police Department Crime Prevention Unit at 623-222-4422 for additional information.
Watch and Learn
Holiday Crime Prevention Tips
from the Surprise Police Department