Free tax preparation assistance available for qualified households
Surprise, AZ (January 19, 2022) The City of Surprise’s Human Services and Community Vitality Department, in partnership with A New Leaf, is offering free tax preparation services to both individuals and families with qualifying incomes.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) offers IRS trained and certified volunteers to assist households making less than $58,000 and need help processing their annual income tax returns. VITA sites provide free tax preparation and help taxpayers apply for benefits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit.
Tax preparation assistance will be available from January 31 through April 18 at the Surprise Resource Center, 12425 W. Bell Rd, Suite 124. No appointment is necessary, and walk-ins are welcome on Mondays and Tuesdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Please note the Resource Center will be closed on Monday, February 21, for President’s Day.
VITA assistance will also be available at Riverboat Bingo, 18300 W. Bell Rd, on Wednesdays starting on February 2 through April 13 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
When visiting any of the VITA sites you must wear a face mask that covers your nose and mouth at all times and you must bring your own pens. Please note that children or additional people not required for tax preparation purposes will not be allowed at any of the sites.
If you are planning to come in for tax preparation assistance, you are asked to bring the following items with you:
• For married filing joint returns, both Taxpayer and Spouse must be present to sign the tax returns before it is electronically filed
• Proof of photo identifications for both Taxpayer and Spouse (if applicable)
• Social Security cards or ITIN and Birth dates for EVERYONE on the tax return
• A copy of last year’s tax return
• IRS Notice 1444-C, Total amount of Third Stimulus payment received - $1,400/qualifying person
• IRS Letter 6419, Total amount of Advance Child Tax Credit payments received
• Proof of bank routing and account number
• Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
• Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, SSA-1099, 1099-Misc, 1099-NEC) from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements (Forms 1099-INT, 1099-DIV)
• Information for all other income (Pensions Form 1099-R, Social Security Statement Form 1099-SSA, Sale of stocks & bonds Form 1099-B)
• Documents for medical deductions, property taxes paid, mortgage interest, auto registration, charity contributions – all added up individually
• Form 1098-T from educational institution to claim education credits
• Amount paid to day care provider, their tax ID number and address
• Forms 1095-A (Healthcare Marketplace), 1095-B or 1095-C
• Unmasked copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
For more information, call 623.222.1600.
Follow Surprise Human Service & Community Vitality on Social Media:
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram