Surprise voters to see EPCOR Water franchise extension on November ballot; register to vote by Oct. 4
Surprise, AZ (August 25, 2021)Surprise voters will be asked to approve a franchise extension with EPCOR Water in the November 2021 election, and voters must register by October 4 to cast a ballot.
EPCOR is one of six water providers in the city of Surprise, and this election will not change EPCOR’s service area. Approval would allow EPCOR to construct, maintain and operate a potable water delivery system and a wastewater collection, treatment and disposal system throughout the city public rights-of-way. The franchise does not grant authority to change your utility rate.
Voters approved a 25-year agreement with EPCOR Water in 1995, but it must be extended to allow for continued use. If approved, EPCOR would pay a 2% franchise fee to the city; the same percent they paid under the previous agreement. That money goes into the city’s General Fund, which pays for public safety, parks, street maintenance and more.
This will be a mail ballot election for all city of Surprise voters, regardless of their water provider. All registered voters in Surprise will be mailed a ballot.
Here are some important dates:
- October 4 – Voter Registration Deadline (Voter registration information is available at http://maricopa.vote)
- October 6 – Ballots Mailed & Drop Boxes Available
- October 22 – Last Day to Request a Ballot in the Mail
- October 25 – Replacement Ballot Voting Begins at City Hall
- October 26 – Last Day to Mail Back Your Ballot
- November 2 – Election Day!
For more information on this election and to view the proposed franchise agreement, please visit surpriseaz.gov/electionnews.