City of Surprise receives five excellence awards from the International Economic Development Council
Surprise, AZ (October 19, 2020) The City of Surprise Economic Development Department has been recognized with five Excellence in Economic Development Awards by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC):
- Gold Award - City of Surprise & Ottawa University Collaboration, a project in the Partnerships with Educational Institutions category.
- Silver Award - “5 Elements of Surprise Recovery” community campaign, a project in the Innovation in Economic Development Week category.
- Silver Award – “Costco, It’s Your Birthday” retail attraction campaign, a project in the Multi-Year Economic Development Program category.
- Bronze Award - City of Surprise Virtual Ribbon Cutting Program, a project in the Digital Media category.
- Bronze Award - COVID-19 Business Help website, a project in the Special Purpose Website category.
IEDC’s Excellence in Economic Development Awards recognize the world's best economic development programs and partnerships, marketing materials, and the year's most influential leaders. Thirty-five award categories honor organizations and individuals for their efforts in creating positive change in urban, suburban, and rural communities. This year, IEDC received over 500 submissions from four countries.
“The winners of IEDC’s Excellence in Economic Development awards represent the very best of economic development and exemplify the ingenuity, integrity, and leadership that our profession strives for each and every day”, said 2020 IEDC Board Chair and One Columbus CEO Kenny McDonald. “We’re honored to recognize the more than 100 communities whose marketing campaigns, projects and partnerships have measurably improved regional quality of life.”
The annual IEDC conference, where the Excellence in Economic Development Awards took place, was held in a virtual format October 12-16, 2020. This year, Surprise Economic Development Director Jeanine Jerkovic also moderated an entrepreneurship panel presentation at the conference, featuring experts from the University of Arizona Tech Park in Tucson; Sherboorke Innopole in Quebec; and the Tech Titans, based in Richardson, Texas.
The IEDC is a non-profit, non-partisan membership organization serving economic developers. With more than 5,000 members, IEDC is the largest organization of its kind. Learn more at iedconline.org.