Defensive Driving Program
To help curb the spread of COVID-19:
• Please stay home if you are feeling sick.
• Wearing of face coverings is recommended.
• Physical distancing is encouraged.
If you have a court appearance scheduled and cannot come to Court because you are experiencing COVID -19 symptoms, you must file a motion requesting a new court date.
Failure to file a motion regarding a missed court appearance may result in a warrant for your arrest or a default on any civil charges.
Payments can be made at surprisecitycourtpayments.com
If you have questions, call the Court at 623.222.4800
Eligibility Requirements for Taking a Defensive Driving Course
You have not attended a Defensive Driving course for an eligible traffic citation issued within the past 12 months. Your eligibility to attend a Defensive Driving Course is based on the date of your current violation not on the date you last attended a Driving Course.
Am I Eligible?
To be eligible:
- You must not presently be enrolled, or have completed any other traffic class for dismissal of a ticket in the State of Arizona in the past 12 months.
- You hold a commercial driver license and are driving a vehicle requiring a Class D or a Class M driver license and the vehicle was not being used for commercial purposes. (A.R.S. §28-3392A(2)(b)). Although the violation will be reported to the MVD, no points will be applied to your record. (A.R.S. §28-3394.01A)
- Your ticket must not have resulted from a Serious injury accident or Fatal accident.
- You must have a valid driver's license at the time of your violation.
- The violation for which you were cited must be designated as a civil traffic moving violation and may be found on the Bond Schedule. If your specific violation is not listed, please refer to the State Defensive Driving Program at www.azdrive.com for a complete list of eligible violations.
- You should be aware that if you complete traffic school for this ticket, and a subsequent record check reveals that you are not eligible to attend, this ticket will not be dismissed and you will have to resolve your ticket by selecting another option.
If you have received more than one violation, and were granted an extension of the court date by this Court, the extension covers only the violation for which you plan to attend school. All other violations must be handled with the Court by the original court date as designated on the complaint.
You MUST complete the class no later than 7 days prior to your court date.
How Do I Enroll?
If you meet the eligibility requirements listed above, you may enroll in the Defensive Driving Program. Some classes are available in Spanish. To enroll, you must call the toll-free number or visit the website listed below.
- Toll-Free Automated Number: 1.888.3345565
- Website: www.azdrive.com
On the day of the class, you must bring your driver's license, your copy of the citation, pencil and paper for instructions, and a money order in the required amount. If you lost your citation, you must return to the Court to get a copy. If you fail to bring a copy of your citation to class, you will not be permitted to attend.
NOTE: Cash or Personal Checks will not be accepted at the defensive driving class.
You must complete the program at least 7 days before your assigned court date. Upon completion of the program, the traffic school will notify the Court. If the citation had only one charge, your case will be deemed complete. However, if other charges remain, you are responsible for them and may need to visit the Court to settle the case.
What are the advantages to attending the Defensive Driving Program?
- The charge will be dismissed
- A fine will not be assessed
- Points will not be assessed against your driving record
A.R.S. 28-645A3A and 28-647.1- State law requires all persons to attend and successfully complete Traffic Survival School (TSS) for those found responsible for a red light or flashing red light violation, unless they are eligible and attend Defensive Driving School. If you are required to attend TSS, you will receive notice from Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) that will provide additional information.