Substance Abuse Assistance

Substance Abuse Assistance

“Almost 21 million Americans have at least one addiction, yet only 10% of them receive treatment” (  Substance abuse can come in many different variations. It is important that if you have become dependent on any substance that you seek assistance.

The City of Surprise cares about our employees and their families. Here are some resources to help you get started on finding assistance for yourself or a loved one.

Substance Use Resources

Call the State of Arizona helpline at 2-1-1 within Arizona or at 877-211-8661 from anywhere. Or visit their webpage at for more information on Alcohol, Drug, and Tobacco use.

  • Resources included multiple treatment types, support, and prevention

Call the Substance Use Resource Center made possible by Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies at 833.959.HELP (4357) 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. More information at

Opioid Addiction/Abuse Assistance

Free resources for yourself or a family member provided by BlueCross BlueShield of Arizona

Call 1-833-959-HELP (4357)

More information at

MobilizeAZ substance abuse infographic Opens in new windowDownload MobilizeAZ Infographic

Alcohol Addiction/Abuse Assistance

Mental Health America:

AZ 2-1-1:

Finding Treatment

When finding treatment it is important to check if the provider is in your medical plan network.

Here is how to do a Provider Search on the City of Surprise Medical Plans. Try to find a provider through your insurance plan. If you are on a City of Surprise plan, then you can do a provider search through your BCBS portal or by visiting:

  • Click 'Find a Doctor/Rx'
  • Click 'I am NOT yet a member'
  • Click 'But might get a BCBSAZ health plan through my employer'
  • Choose your network (Alliance PPO/EPO, Statewide HMO, or PPO)
  • Enter your zip code to search providers in your area
  • Search 'Doctors by Specialty'
  • You can enter "addiction" and you will receive doctors in your area who can help that are in your selected network

Safe Drug Disposal is provided by the City of Surprise Police Department

More information at

Employee Assistance Program

Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Services are available to eligible employees and their dependents. More information on the City’s EAP provider can be found on the EAP page.