2018 I-Code Adoption Process
The 2018 International Building Codes (I-Codes) and the 2017 National Electrical Code will be in effect starting November 14, 2019. The proposed implementation process for existing construction permit applications and new applications is as follows:
- The new 2018 Codes will take effect November 14, 2019. The changes apply to applications submitted on or after November 14, 2019. It does not affect permits for projects already submitted, in review, or under construction.
- The City of Surprise will accept applications for projects designed to the 2018 Codes prior to November 14, 2019 if the applicant chooses to use the new Codes and local amendments. The City of Surprise will handle early requests through the Code Modification process. Such Code Modification requests will have the fee waived.
- Standard Plans approved under the 2012 code will remain valid until November 14, 2020.
- Standard Plans approved under the 2012 Codes may be updated to the 2018 Codes at any time if the homebuilder identifies the changes necessary to comply with the 2018 Codes. Full plan sets will NOT be required. Builders will be able to submit an updated Cover Sheet for each of their currently approved 2012 Standard Plans along with an index, notes and details identifying items that are being modified to comply with the 2018 Codes.
- Custom Home Plans submitted on or after November 14, 2019 will need to comply with the 2018 Codes. The differences between the 2012 and 2018 Codes are minor and should not impose a delay.
- A subdivision will not be treated as a whole during the code change. Depending on the application dates, some houses may be under construction using the 2012 Code while others will be utilizing the 2018 Code in the same subdivision. If there is a specific problem complying with the 2018 Code, the Builder can offer an Alternative Method of compliance by going through the Code Modification process. The Code Modification request will have to show that the Alternative Method meets the intent of the 2018 Code.
- Commercial projects currently under design using the 2012 Codes that cannot be submitted prior to November 14, 2019 may file a Code Modification (no fee) to submit the project for approval using the 2012 Codes. This will be allowed for projects submitted up to 90 days after the effective date of the new codes. This will prevent submittal delays and increased costs due to redesigning for the 2018 Code.
- Permits approved under the 2012 Codes that expire (no work within 180 days after issuance) will need to be updated to the 2018 Codes prior to being reissued.
Adopted Building Codes
- 2018 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2018 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
- 2018 International Residential Code (IRC)
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Green Construction Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code
- Ordinance 2019-31 – 2018 I-Code – City of Surprise Local Amendments