- Home Links
- Public Notices
Notice of Public Hearing on Land Use Assumptions and Infrastructure Improvement Plan
Pursuant to Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S) § 9-463.05 notice is hereby given that the City of Surprise will hold a public hearing to discuss and review an update to the Land Use Assumptions (LUA) and Infrastructure Improvement Plan (IIP) associated with the development impact fees charged by the City. The public hearing will be held at the Regular City Council Meeting on January 22, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. at the Surprise City Council Chambers, 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza Surprise, AZ 85374.
The City Council will approve or disapprove the amendments to the LUA and IIP at the Regular City Council Meeting on Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. at the Surprise City Council Chambers, 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza Surprise, AZ 85374.
A separate public hearing on potential changes to the development impact fees will be considered after the City Council has approved or disapproved amendments to the LUA and IIP. A copy of the proposed LUA and IIP is attached to this notice and also published on the City of Surprises’ website www.surpriseaz.gov/3204/Development-Impact-Fees.
Notice of District 5 Council Vacancy Seeking Applications
The City of Surprise is currently accepting applications for the position of Councilmember District 5 (Palm) that was vacated by a Councilmember due to selection of Mayor at the November 20, 2018 Regular Council Meeting . All applicants must reside with the District 5 boundaries. The term expiration for the appointment will be December 31st, 2020, and the remainder of the 4 year term will be placed on the next scheduled Council election in August 20, 2020 per ARS 9-235 (The council shall fill a vacancy that may occur by appointment until the next regularly scheduled council election if the vacancy occurs more than thirty days before the nomination petition deadline. This subsection does not apply to a charter city). The Interview/Selection process is as follows:
Section 2-22 of the Surprise City Code – Council/District Vacancy:
(1) Vacancies in district office will be advertised beginning no later than 14 days from the date the vacancy is created when caused by death, and seven days from the date the vacancy is created in all other cases. The city clerk will advertise all vacancies in at least one newspaper with local circulation, on the city website, and in all designated posting locations during the application acceptance period. (Date of Advertisement – Monday, November 26, 2018).
(2) All eligible persons interested in filling the district vacancy must submit an application to the city clerk's office prior to the close of the acceptance period. The application acceptance period will end at 5:00 p.m. on the 14th day following the placement of the advertisement as required by subsection (1) of this section. (Monday, December 10th, 2018).
(3) No later than the end of the business day following the close of the application acceptance period, the city clerk will forward to the mayor and council and post on the city website a copy of all applications submitted during the application acceptance period (Tuesday, December 11, 2018).
(4) The council will interview each applicant at a public hearing held no later than ten days following the close of the application acceptance period, followed by a seven-day period during which public comment may be submitted to the city clerk's office (Interview/Public Hearing – Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 4:00 p.m. & Close of Comments (Thursday, December 27, 2018 – 5:00 p.m.).
(5) No later than the end of the business day following the close of the public comment period, the city clerk will forward to the mayor and council and post on the city website a copy of all comments submitted during the comment period (Friday, December 28, 2018).
(6) A district candidate must be selected no later than the second regularly scheduled council meeting following the public hearing (Thursday, January 3, 2019 or Tuesday, January 15, 2019 – 6:00 p.m.).
Applications are available for pick up the City Clerk’s Office located at 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza, starting on Monday, November 26, 2018 – 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday, and the closing date will be Monday, December 10, 2018 – 5:00 p.m. Interviews will be scheduled for Thursday, December 20, 2018 at a Special Council Meeting (4:00 p.m.). Selection of the applicant will take place on Thursday, January 3, 2019 or Tuesday, January 15, 2019 @ 6:00 p.m. Regular Council Meeting. Applications are also available online @ www.surpriseaz.gov, under City Clerk section. Please submit applications to the City Clerk’s Office.
Notice of Seeking Applications for Voluntary Commission Vacancy
The City of Surprise is currently accepting applications for the following Commission. All Board/Commission positions are voluntary.
• Newly Formed Veterans, Disability and Human Services Commission
Applications for the above mentioned commission are available for pick-up immediately and can be picked up from the City Clerk’s Office from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday - 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza. Applications are also available online @ www.surpriseaz.gov/boards. Please submit applications to the City Clerk’s Office in person or by e-mail to: email@example.com. Applications are always available for all boards and commissions and will be kept on file for future vacancies.