Sign Code Update
The City of Surprise is in the process of amending City Code Chapter 113, which deals with signs. The update aims to balance business needs with aesthetics, while meeting the requirements of law, and staff is currently seeking public input.
On September 5, 2017, City Council voted to enact a Temporary Sign Policy while the process to revise the Comprehensive Sign Code continues. The intent of the temporary policy is to better align with the current needs of businesses and residents and temporarily waives the Surprise City Code Section 113-47, but only as to Article V, of the current code, beginning thirty days after the adoption of this resolution until it is repealed.
On January 18, 2018, staff presented the Version 3 draft to the Planning and Zoning Commission. This draft included refinements to the language based on the Commission’s input and included two alternatives for each the small and large A-frame issues. Members of the stakeholder list were notified of the January 18, 2018 public hearing and the matter was noticed in accordance with City Code and state statute. The Commission heard testimony from the public and voted separately to:
- Approve Exhibit B with respect to small A-Frame signs and to incorporate a 500 foot limit
- Approve Exhibit C with respect to large A-Frame signs as written
- To incorporate certain corrections related to typographical errors
- To incorporate certain revisions as they relate to the sign area, height, and sign face of billboards along the Loop 303 Corridor
- To recommend approval of Version 3 with the changes as noted above.
City Council heard the recommendations at their February 6th Regular Council Meeting and voted to table the Sign Code discussion until March 6, 2018.
- Res 2017-98 Approved Temporary Sign Code Policy
- Sign Code - Public Review Version 1
- Sign Code - Public Review Version 2
- Sign Code - Public Review Version 2 Exhibit A Section 113-09.A.2 Alternative #1
- Sign Code - Public Review Version 2 Exhibit B Section 113-09.A.2 Alternative #2
- Sign Code - Public Review Version 2 Exhibit C Section 113-09.A.3 Alternative #1
- Sign Code - Public Review Version 2 Exhibit D Section 113-09.A.3 Alternative #2
- Sign Code Update Public Review Version 3
- Sign Code - Update Public Review Version 2 Exhibit A Section 113-09.A.2 Alternative #1
- Sign Code - Update Public Review Version 3 Exhibit B Section 113-09.A.2 Alternative #2
- Sign Code - Update Public Review Version 3 Exhibit C Section 113-09.A.3 Alternative #1
- Sign Code - Update Public Review Version 3 Exhibit D Section 113-09.A.3 Alternative #2
- Sign Code - Update January 18, 2018 Planning and Zoning Recommendation
The next step in the process is a public hearing with the City Council as noted below:
|March 6 - Regular City Council Meeting||Public Hearing||6 p.m.||City Hall – Council Chambers, 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza|
Public comments may be submitted anytime during the process.
For questions regarding the update to the sign code, please contact Robert Kuhfuss at email@example.com or 623-222-3137.
How to offer input:
- Attend one or more of the public input meetings listed above.
- Submit written comments:
- By Mail:
Robert H. Kuhfuss, AICP, City of Surprise Community Development Department
16000 Civic Center Plaza,
Surprise, AZ 85374
- By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online: via the text box below
- By Mail: