Fireworks Use & Sale Info

Fireworks Use and Sale Fire Medical
The Surprise City Council approved changes to the city’s Fireworks Use and Sale Ordinance to align with changes in state law, on Oct 2014.

Among the notable changes:

  • The age limit for whom can purchase consumer fireworks has been lowered from 18 years of age to 16.
  • Consumer fireworks use is prohibited January 4 – June 23 and July 7 – December 23.
  • Consumer fireworks use is allowed on private property within city limits, with the property owner’s consent, during these dates only: June 24 – July 6 and December 24 – January 3.
  • Consumer fireworks use will remain prohibited on public property, including streets, city parks/open spaces, etc….   
Click here for a list of acceptable and non-acceptable consumer fireworks to use/sell in Arizona.

Please note that permits for the public display of fireworks may be granted by the Surprise Fire-Medical Department upon application of a Temporary Use Permit and proper inspection. Permits may be revoked during times of High Fire Danger warnings.

Click here to view the entire Fireworks Ordinance.

To report a violation please contact Code Enforcement at 623.222.3013.

Disposal of Unused Fireworks

To properly dispose of unused fireworks, please call Fireworks Productions of Arizona at 480.948.0090 and ask for Sara.

Background and FAQ's

Senate Bill 1158, signed by Governor Jan Brewer in April 2014, requires municipalities in Maricopa and Pima Counties to allow the sale and use of ground fireworks around July 4 and New Year's Day.

What types of fireworks are legal?

Permissible fireworks include ground spinners, spark­ling wheel devices and cylindrical, square, cone and California rocket-shaped fountains.

Novelties, such as smoke devices, sparklers, party poppers and snap caps, are permitted year-round.

What types of fireworks are illegal?

Skyrockets, bottle rockets, firecrackers, Roman candles and aerials are not permitted under the new law because of their ability to detonate in the air.

When can I buy fireworks?

Residents may legally purchase fireworks: May 20 - July 6, Dec. 10 - Jan. 3

What are the fees for selling fireworks in Surprise?

  • Fireworks Permit & Pyrotechnics Display (show) - $300 permit inspection
  • Sell fireworks (store inspection – 90 day) - $150 inspection/permit
  • TUP – tent inspection (sell fireworks- 90 day) - $350 inspection/permit
When can I use fireworks?

Residents may legally use fireworks: June 24 - July 6, Dec. 24 - Jan. 3.

Residents may use ground spinners, sparking-wheel devices and fountain shaped fireworks: June 24 - July 6.

Where can I use fireworks?

The new bill allows cities and towns to ban the use of fireworks on public property, but they cannot ban use on private property.

Most municipalities continue to ban fireworks on public property, but specific rules can vary by city. You are encouraged to contact your local police or fire department with questions about where you can legally use fireworks in your area.

What could happen if I violate the law?

Civil penalties range from $150 to $1,000, depending on the violation. Violating fireworks provisions is no longer a Class 3 misdemeanor.

However, SB1158 makes it a Class 1 misdemeanor with a mandatory minimum $1,000 fine for using fireworks on preservation lands within a city that has purchased 15,000 acres or more for preservation purposes.

Is the law the same all over Arizona?

The new law applies only to communities in Maricopa and Pima Counties. Municipalities in Arizona's other counties can ban the use of fireworks, primarily because of wildlife concerns.

For more information on fireworks please contact: Fire Prevention at 623.222.5100 or