Self-Certification Building Permit Program
The Self-Certification Program for Building Permits is another way in which the City of Surprise is committed to enhancing customer service for our building community, while ensuring safety standards remain our number one priority.
The Self-Certification Program benefits...
- Eliminates plan review for Licensed Design Professionals Certified with the City of Phoenix
- Faster permit process for eligible projects, permits can be issued within five business days
- Focus on safety- Certified pros take responsibility for and certify a project's compliance with building code, standards, and ordinances
- Saving money- Eliminates the plan review fees
All new building construction and alterations not included in the Not Eligible list.
Not Eligible Projects
- Hazardous occupancies
- New high rise buildings (occupied floor more than 75' above Fire Department access)
- Projects located within a flood plain
- Hillside development
- Extra-large assembly occupancies (A4 & A5)
- Fire alarms and sprinkler systems
- Any project where construction has taken place without benefit of a permit
How do I sign up?
Arizona Licensed Design Professionals must attend a Self-Certification training class offered by the City of Phoenix. For information on how to register for this training visit https://www.phoenix.gov/pdd/self-certification-program.
Once you are certified...
Once you are certified, you must complete and submit the required forms necessary to schedule a Concept Review Intake Meeting. Providing all items are received, your permit will be released in five business days.
Information packets and forms are available for download below:
- Self-Certification Program Overview
- Permit Application
- Building Plan Submittal Checklist
- Self-Certification Building Permit Packet
- Intake Process and Permit Issuance
- Self-Certification Process Flow Chart
- Structural Peer Review Certificate
- Fee Quote Request
- Owner – Applicant Certification Statement
- Fire Prevention Site Review Inspection Results
- Fire Protection Acknowledgement
- Hold Harmless Sample Letter
- Sewer Declaration
- Professional of Record Statement
- Special Inspection Agreement