Summer Youth Employment Program
The City of Surprise offers a summer job program for income-eligible Surprise residents between the ages of 15 – 19.
Through the City Council-approved Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP), applicants must be available to work up to 25 hours a week for five weeks. Chosen interns will earn minimum wage.
Interns will be selected to receive professional development training in various departments across the city from working with your hands in our public works department to organizing activities for our seniors.
- Family income must be at or below 80% of area median income
FY 2021 Income
1 person $44,250 2 person $50,600 3 person $56,900 4 person $63,200 5 person $68,300 6 person $73,350 7 person $78,400 8 person $83,450
- Must be a full time student
- Must reside in Surprise
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Must have access to reliable transportation
- Must submit letter of recommendation by school teacher, counselor or other non-related adult, along with the application if possible, or by the date of the interview (if selected).
- Applicants will also have to submit income verification documents at the time of application.
Applicant names must be written to match what is listed on their Social Security Card. Applicants are also asked to list areas of interest so that they may be placed in a complementary employment opportunity.
- Electronic application submissions will be accepted through Sunday, April 17. Applications can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In-person submissions will be accepted during normal City Hall business hours through Friday, April 15 at 5 p.m.
- Mailed applications should be postmarked by Friday, April 15. Applications can be mailed to or dropped off at City Hall:
Lord Garcillano, Human Service & Community Vitality Department
Re: Summer Youth Employment Program Application
16000 N. Civic Center Plaza
Surprise, AZ., 85374-7470
Qualified applicants will be contacted and then screened through an interviewing process during April and May 2022. Final participants will be notified if they are selected for a position by May and must pass any pre-employment screening the City deems necessary.