The mission of the Explorer Post #2236 is to learn the skills necessary for a career in law enforcement. Our focus is to foster positive character traits such as honesty, integrity, respect, courage and discipline.
“To prepare every eligible youth in America to become a responsible, participating citizen and leader who is guided by the Scout Oath and Law.” – Boy Scout Council of America
We promise to uphold the policies and procedures that dictate the Surprise Police Department. We pledge to conduct ourselves in an ethical and honest manner, clearly showing integrity as our code of honor.
Join A Tradition Of Service
Be a positive influence on your community.
Surprise Explorers are developing a tradition of service that positively impacts the lives of every member of our community. This is your chance to become a part of that tradition.
Male and female young adults are encouraged to apply, if they:
- Are 14 to 20 years of age. (14 years old is acceptable only if you have graduated from eighth grade.)
- Have a good moral character.
- Remain in school while in the program or until graduation.
- Maintain a "C" average or higher.
- Do not have a serious police record.
- Are able to attend Explorer meetings.
- Are willing to volunteer your time to attend Explorer functions.
- Are willing to commit to the Explorer program and exemplify the professional image of the Surprise Police Department.
For more information, please contact our Police Explorer Advisor at 623.222.4036
How to Apply
- Applications are available at the Surprise Police Department and online (see application links below)
- Applicant and a parent/guardian will need to attend at least one Explorer meeting as observers. Please contact Explorer Advisor to schedule a meeting to attend.
- Applicant and parent/guardian will need to meet with the Explorer Advisor for orientation about the application process
- Applicants must pass a background check in order to proceed through the application process
- Applicant must participate in an oral board interview
Explorers meet every Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.
Meetings are held at the Surprise Police Department Public Safety building and last approximately 3 hours.
For more information, please contact the Police Explorer Advisor at 623.222.4036.