City of Surprise Public Works Department
City of Surprise Public Works Department

Residential Sanitation Service

The city of Surprise offers same-day residential curbside garbage and recycling once a week. Each resident is provided with a 95-gallon trash receptacle and recycling receptacle. Click here for your neighborhood's collection day. Bulk trash pickup is offered to residents whose regular sanitation service is provided by the city and not a private collection company. To schedule a bulk trash pick up, please call 623.222.6000.

Sanitation Contacts

Report any of the following problems by calling 623.222.6000 or submit a service request on-line.

  • Garbage container wasn't picked up
  • Dead animal on street
  • Garbage/recycling can replacement

Report a problem
Public Works, 623.222.6000;
online service request
Temporarily Suspend Your Service 
Public Works, 623 222-6000
learn more about this option
Start / Cancel Service
American Water, 888.300.3569
Billing Inquiries
American Water, 888.300.3569 | online services
A payment drop box is located just off the south parking lot of Surprise City Hall, 16000 N. Civic Center Plaza.
Garbage container damaged or stolen
Surprise PD, 623.222.6000

Collection Schedule

Green Zone 1 - Monday

Legacy Park
Greenway Parc
Sycamore Farms
Sarah Ann Ranch
Sierra Montana
Greer Ranch
Mountain Vista Ranch
Blue Zone 2 - Tuesday

Sierra Verde
Ashton Ranch
Mountain Gate
Kenly Farms
Rancho Gabriela
Royal Ranch
Cotton Gin
Marley Park
Yellow Zone 3 - Wednesday

Canyon Ridge
Coyote Lakes
Original Town Site
Sun Village
Stone Brook
Kingswood Park
West Point
Litchfield Manor
Red Zone 4 - Thursday

Northwest Ranch
Bell West Ranch
Surprise Farms
Bell Point
Desert Oasis
Saguaro Acres
Section 10
219th Avenue
239th Avenue

Curbside Recycling Information

Recycle Wise in Surprise

By being a wise recycler, you not only help the environment, you help yourself!

Why? Surprise receives money for the recyclables it collects – as long as there isn't a high level of contamination. The money we earn on recyclables helps stabilize your collection rates!

Learn more about the process and the payoff.

Recycling Guide

The following is a guide for what can and cannot be recycled in the blue container.

If you have any questions, please contact us at 623-222-6000.

Do Recycle

Recycle Glass
All glass accepted. No color restrictions. Note: Glass cookware, construction glass, mirrors and car windshields cannot be recycled in the blue bin.

Recycle Paper
Newspapers and ad inserts, magazines, catalogs, phone books, white paper, paper bags, junk mail, envelopes and any other clean dry paper. Please place shredded paper in a clear plastic bag.

Recycle Cardboard
Empty food boxes like cake, cracker and cereal boxes (without plastic insert), milk and OJ cartons, paper towel tubes, broken down large boxes.

Recycle Food and Beverage Cans
Aluminum beverage cans and steel cans like soup, pet food, tuna, fruit and vegetable.

Recycle Empty Aerosol Cans
Shaving cream, deodorant, and cooking spray.

Recycle Plastics
Any #1 - #7 Plastic container.

Do Not Recycle

No Styrofoam
Food containers, cups, plates, egg cartons, packing material and peanuts.

No glass cookware, car windshields, mirrors or construction glass.

No garbage
Diapers, air or furnace filters, pet waste, food, garden hoses.

No yard waste
Grass, rocks, leaves, branches. See bulk trash collection info or visit Northwest Regional Landfill.

No construction materials
Cement, wood, shingles, drywall, construction glass. To dispose of these items, visit Northwest Regional Landfill.

No plastic bags, motor oil containers, shrink wrap

No clothing or shoes

No automotive parts, car tires, or batteries
See battery recycling locations.

No appliances or electronics
See electronics recycling locations.

PLEASE DO NOT BAG YOUR RECYCLABLES! If you do, the whole bag gets tossed into the trash and is weighed as contaminated recycling. Remember, we get paid for recycling, but are charged for trash disposal.

Don't have curbside recycling? Use one of our drop-off locations.

Collection Tips

  • Position the trash and recycle containers in the street against the curb, with the handle side closest to your home. Make sure containers are at least 3 feet away from each other and from fences, light posts, mailboxes orother obstacles.
  • Place containers curbside by 6 a.m. According to Surprise City Code, containers must be removed prior to 11:00 p.m. of that day of collection.
  • Park at least 15 feet away from the containers. Your container cannot be emptied if a parked vehicle blocks it.
  • Please do not place hazardous materials in your trash container. Only regular household trash, garbage and small quantities of yard trimmings are acceptable. All trash should be bagged and tied.
  • Prohibited items include dirt, sod, rocks, concrete, bricks, concrete blocks, roofing/construction materials, auto parts, batteries, tires, ashes, flammable materials, ammunition, guns, oil, gas, paint or any other hazardous materials.
  • Pay close attention to children and animals! Please make sure children and animals are NOT playing near containers, especially at collection time.
  • Avoid overfilling containers. Lid should be closed to eliminate odors, nuisances and to ensure the contents will remain in the container until dumped...and the weight limit is 200 pounds.
  • Cardboard boxes should be cut into smaller pieces to prevent jamming and placed in the blue recycling container.
  • Do not bag & tie recyclables
  • Place all recyclables together in the blue container - no need to sort
  • Rinse recyclable containers to remove food
  • No need to remove labels from recyclables
  • Lids may be left on if they are also recyclable
  • Break down larger cardboard boxes

Recycling Drop-off Locations

Recycling drop off containers are provided by the city of Surprise at the locations listed below.

Acceptable Materials:

Paper products: cardboard, newspaper, magazines, paper bags, junk mail, food boxes 
Plastics: all plastics with symbols 1 - 7
Glass: all glass, any color
Other: Steel, aluminum and aerosol cans are also acceptable.

Questions? Contact 623.222.6000.

AZ TechCelerator
12425 W. Bell Rd.
Container Location: the gravel area next to the covered parking.
Map / Directions

Fire Station 302
18600 N. Reems Rd.
Container Location: the south end of the parking lot.
Map / Directions

Dream Catcher Park 
14534 W. Tierra Buena Lane
Container Location: the east end of the parking lot.
Map / Directions 

Public Works Yard
13430 W. Westgate Drive
Map / Directions

Used Battery locations:
Interstate Batteries - 17173 N Litchfield Rd. #35 Surprise, Az
Goodwill - 14063 W Grand Ave Surprise Az

Residential Waste Clean-up Events

As a service to our residents, the city provides the opportunity to dispose of a single load of residential waste that weighs up to 2,000 lbs at no cost. One load per household. These events are open to Surprise residents only and proof of residency is required. Please bring a driver’s license and a utility bill to show proof of a Surprise home address.

March 12, 2016 and September 10,  2016
7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Northwest Regional Landfill
19401 W. Deer Valley Rd.
(click here for a map/directions)
Questions? Call 623.222.6000

Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event

The city of Surprise offers Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events at different times throughout the year to help protect the environment by properly disposing items which may contain harmful chemicals. These events are open to Surprise residents only and proof of residency is required (driver’s license/city utility bill).

April 9, 2016 and October 8,  2016
8 a.m. to noon
Public Works Maintenance Yard
13433 W. Foxfire Drive
(From Bell Road, turn north on Dysart Road and follow signs to the entrance off Foxfire Road)
  • From Bell Road, turn north on Dysart Road and follow signs to the entrance off Foxfire Road.
  • Proof of residency is required.
  • Seal items in their original container or clearly label all items not in their original container and place in a cardboard box.
  • Please remain in your vehicle, event staff will remove materials from your vehicle.
Acceptable Items 
  • Antifreeze, car batteries, motor oil, gasoline, diesel, and fuel additives
  • Brake-transmission-power steering fluid, degreasers
  • Pool chemicals, fire extinguishers and gas cylinders
  • Compact fluorescent light bulbs
  • Stain, varnish, turpentine, cleaners, adhesives
  • Paint, paint thinners, solvents, cleaners, adhesives
  • Pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers and other lawn chemicals
  • Freezers, refrigerators ( no RV refrigerators with ammonia)
  • TVs, electronics, cell phones, computers, stereos
  • Up to 5 auto tires (no rims and no truck, tires )
  • Washers, dryers, water heaters, stoves, dishwashers, evaporative coolers

The following items will NOT be accepted

  • Regular refuse and bulk trash
  • Bio–medical waste
  • Commercial waste
  • Ammunition or explosives
  • RV refrigerators that contain ammonia
  • Radioactive material
Questions? Call 623.222.6000

Tips to Reduce Hazardous Waste

  • Read labels and buy environmentally safe products
  • Buy only what you will use, or give away unused portions.
  • Buy latex-based paint.


Paint, if completely dried, may be disposed of in the regular trash collection. Latex paint (paint that can be cleaned up with water) should be air-dried in its container away from children and pets. When the paint is completely solidified, the can and its contents can be thrown away.

Solvent-based. Air drying liquid solvent-based paint (paint that can only be cleaned up with turpentine or other solvents) is generally not recommended. If the paint has become completely solidified, it can be disposed of in the regular trash collection. If there is a small amount of paint leftover in the can, dry it out by adding an absorbent material such as cat litter. Otherwise, it should be considered household hazardous waste.

Motor Oil

To dispose of motor oil, consult the telephone directory for the nearest Checker Auto Supply or Pep Boys. Call for specific instructions.


Used batteries can be dropped off at the following locations:

Bulk Trash Information

Call 623-222-6000 to schedule a bulk trash appointment.

The City of Surprise offers bulk trash service to residents that are serviced by the City’s Sanitation Department. Acceptable bulk trash items are; household items, yard debris, or appliances. The bulk crew cannot pick up dirt, rocks, concrete, concrete blocks, bricks, roofing materials, batteries or hazardous materials.

There is a limit of 10 cubic yards per household and a limit of 20 cubic yards per year, at no charge to the resident. Residents do not need to be home when bulk items are picked up. Bulk items need to be set out before 6:00 a.m. and placed on the front edge of the resident’s property line, before the sidewalk. Bulk items cannot be placed on top of the sidewalk or into the street. For reference, one cubic yard is about the size of one washer or one dryer.

Remember this when arranging your Bulk Collection:

  • Neatly stack your bulky items on the front edge of your property. Do not place items on the sidewalk or in the street.
  • Large quantities of small items such as clothing, toys, or other debris should be bagged. Small quantities can go into your trash can. Small amounts of vegetation or yard debris can also be bagged and tied and placed in your trash can.
  • Keep your bulk waste at least five feet from any object like a pole or a fence.
  • Tree branches and large items need to be cut down to four foot sections.
  • Large quantities of loose grass, leaves and other small yard debris should be bagged or boxed.
  • Construction or demolition debris of less than 25 pounds or less than four feet in length will be accepted.

These items are not acceptable:

  • Branches and brush larger than four foot in length – cut them into smaller pieces.
  • Any Construction or demolition debris 25 pounds and over, longer than four feet, or any debris from a contractor. Call a private hauler for collection of this material.
  • Dirt, rocks, concrete, concrete blocks, bricks, and roofing materials. Call a private hauler for collection of this material.
  • Any metal or car parts in excess of 25 pounds or longer than four feet.
  • Any glass, e.g., windows, shower doors, or mirrors.
  • Tires, batteries or hazardous materials – hold these for the special spring and fall Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events.

How to Temporarily Suspend Your Trash/Recycling Service

City of Surprise solid waste customers now have the option to temporarily suspend trash/recycling service to their residence. This is a cost-effective service for customers that may be away from their home for four months or longer.

The service fee is $55, to cover the cost of can pickup, restocking and redelivery. The charge will appear on your next bill following the requested date of suspension. Your billing will automatically start up again after your normal service resumes.

Want to temporarily suspend your trash/recycling service? Follow these steps:

  1. Call Public Works at 623.222.6000 to make your request
  2. Provide the Customer Service Representative with your:
    1. Name
    2. Address
    3. Start Date for service suspension
    4. Return Date for service to resume
  3. Leave your trash and recycling can at the curb on the start date of your temporary suspension

The City will pick up the cans on your set suspension date, store them for you and return clean cans to your residence on the resume service date.

If your service dates change, please call Public Works at 623.222.6000 so we can update your account.

Please note that the Temporary Suspension Service ONLY applies to trash/recycling collection, not to water and sewer services.

Other Services

Christmas Tree Disposal

The City of Surprise offers several Christmas Tree disposal sites. The drop-off period runs December 26, 2015 to January 17, 2016.

Please remove all decorations and place trees in designated areas only. Limit - two trees per household.

Drop-off locations:

Gaines Park
15837 N. Nash Street (north end of the parking lot)

Surprise Recreation Campus/ Youth Baseball Complex
15795 N. Parkview Place (across from Valley Vista High School)

Surprise Farms Softball Park
17894 Westpark Blvd (parking lot on corner of N Willow Canyon Rd & W. Surprise Farms Dr. South)

Asante Community Park
16763 W Vereda Solana Dr

Moving Box Pickup Service

As a welcome to Surprise, each new resident receives a free, one-time pick up of moving boxes. Boxes must be flattened and tied or taped together. To schedule a pick up, call the Public Works Department at 623.222.6000.

Moving Box Pickup Service

As a welcome to Surprise, each new resident receives a free, one-time pick up of moving boxes. Boxes must be flattened and tied or taped together. To schedule a pick up, call the Public Works Department at 623.222.6000.

Disposal of Unused Medicines

The City of Surprise Police Department has a prescription drug collection bin in its lobby for easy disposal of unwanted drugs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please note the following items cannot be deposited into the drug collection unit: needles, ointments, lotions, liquids, aerosol cans, inhalers, hydrogen peroxide, and thermometers. The Surprise Police Department is located at 14250 West Statler Plaza.

Click here to download a guide for proper disposal of unused medicines

Home Medical Sharps Disposal

The handling and disposal of used home generated medical sharps such as needles, syringes, and lancets, are exempted from regulation in Arizona's Medical Waste Regulations (Arizona Administrative Code (A.A.C.) R18-13-1401 et seq.). However, these materials still need to be handled safely. ADEQ needs your help in ensuring that medical sharps are disposed of in a manner that helps minimize health risks to garbage haulers, landfill personnel and the community.

Medical sharps should be placed in either a purchased medical sharps container (from a pharmacy or health care provider) or a heavy-plastic or metal container. The containers should be puncture-proof with a tight-fitting lid. Household containers such as plastic detergent bottles can be used if the following precautions are observed:

  • Use heavy-duty tape such as electrical or duct tape to secure the lid to the container.
  • Write the words "Not Recyclable" on the container with a black indelible marker. This helps to ensure the container will not be inadvertently mingled with recyclable materials.
  • Do not use a clear or glass container.
  • Do not over-stuff the containers with medical sharps (fill only to approximately: full).
  • This can increase pressure on the lid and cause a release of the medical sharps.
  • While waiting for a full container, keep out of reach of children and pets. Always wash your hands after handling or touching medical sharps. Once you have followed these precautions, the container may be placed in your regular trash for disposal.


Which container should I use for recycling?

RECYCLE in the Blue Can

Where do I place my container?

In neighborhoods without sidewalks, the container should be placed next to the street, but not on the asphalt. In all other areas, the cans will be collected from the street, just like regular garbage collection. Sidewalks must be kept clear for pedestrian and wheelchair access at all times.

Why didn't my recycling or garbage get dumped?

Usually it’s one of four reasons:

  • The truck came by before your container was put at the curb. Your container should be placed at the curb by 6 a.m. Don’t rely on routes being run at the same time every week.
  • It contained illegal materials such as rocks, bricks, etc., or was over the 200 pound weight limit.
  • A car or other obstacle was blocking access to the trash container
  • It’s a City holiday. Click here to download the Holiday Collection Schedule.


To request a courtesy pick-up, call 623.222.6000. If time allows, a truck may be rerouted to your home.

Where will recyclables be collected?

Every single-family residence already being serviced by the City's Public Works Division participates in the recycling program. This includes all Surprise neighborhoods that have their trash collected by the City of Surprise. Each residence receiving service will be issued a blue city-owned recycling container, and all recycling collection will take place at the public curb in front of the residences.

What can I place in my curbside container?

Click here for information on acceptable items in the blue container.

How do I get my damaged or missing trash or recycling can replaced?

For damaged or missing containers, call 623.222.6000 for repair or replacement. Allow three to five days for delivery or repair.

How do I set up service and get a trash and recycling can for my new home?

New residents should call American Water at 888.300.3569 to order a receptacle. Allow seven to 10 days for delivery. Remember, we offer free, one-time pick up of moving boxes. Boxes must be flattened and tied or taped together. To schedule a pick up, call the Public Works Department at 623.222.6000.

I am moving. How do I cancel my service?

Call Public Works at 623 222.6000 to suspend your service. There is a $55 service fee to cover the cost of can pickup, restocking and redelivery. Learn more about this service.

I am going out of town. How do I temporarily suspend my service?

Call American Water at 800.300.3569 to discontinue service. The container remains part of the property and should be left in a secure location.

What items are considered "hazardous waste"?

Click here for Hazardous Material Collection Information.

Official Seal of Surprise, AZ
Defining Vibrant, Southwest Living
16000 N. Civic Center Plaza   Surprise, AZ 85374   City Hall Hours: Monday - Friday; 8am - 5pm
Phone: 623.222.1000  |  TTY: 623.222.1002  |  Phone Directory
Live Support