Surprise Fire Department
Surprise Fire Department
Consumer Fireworks Use & Sale
Use of Consumer Fireworks in Surprise is Unlawful
State law allows the sale of consumer fireworks statewide; it also allows each town/city the right to restrict the use of such fireworks within their jurisdictional limits. The Surprise City Council, in November 2010, voted to ban consumer fireworks use within city limits.

As a result people can buy consumer fireworks within the city limits, however they cannot use them within city limits.

Those found to be in violation of this city ordinance may face civil or criminal penalties.

Anyone observing the use of consumer fireworks within the Surprise city limits should report the incident to the Surprise Police Department at 623.222.4000.

Consumer Fireworks Sale Requirements
Retailers looking to sell consumer fireworks in Surprise are required to obtain a city business license; inspection certificate from the Surprise Fire Department and post the inspection certificate at each cash register and in each area in which the fireworks are sold.

Retailers looking to sell consumer fireworks in Surprise are required to obtain a Temporary Use Permit from the City and submit an application to display and sell fireworks.

Note: Sales are prohibited until after an inspection by the Fire Marshall and proper documentation from the city have been performed/issued.

Click here for Fire Marshall GuidelinesFire Marshall Guidelines
Need help through the process, call 623-222-5127 or 623-222-5129.

Application for Display and Sales must be made ten (10) days prior to opening.

Retailer’s for Consumer Fireworks will be held to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1124 Code for the Manufacture, Transportation, Storage, and Retail Sales of Fireworks and Pyrotechnic Articles 2006 Edition. With particular attention to the Chapter 6, Storage of Consumer Fireworks, and Chapter 7, Retail Sales of Consumer Fireworks.

AVOID CIVIL ACTION. If you are consumer fireworks retailer and want to avoid a civil citation, call for a Fire Dept Fire Safety Inspection right away. We are waiting for your call. Have your paper work ready and in order. Call: 623-222-5127 or 623-222-5129

Paper work needed:
  • Inventory list of all fireworks on display and in storage
  • Provide a sample of each item when requested
  • Fireworks may be tested on for suitability
  • Provide proof of local business license
  • Provide proof of Planning & Zoning approval
  • Provide certificate of insurance

As always, if you have questions please call: Fire Plan review at 623-222-5125 or Fire Inspectors at 623-222-5127 or 623-222-5129. You may also email the Fire Marshal at

Official Seal of Surprise, AZ
Defining Vibrant, Southwest Living
16000 N. Civic Center Plaza   Surprise, AZ 85374   City Hall Hours: Monday - Thursday; 7am - 6pm
Phone: 623.222.1000  |  TTY: 623.222.1002  |  Phone Directory
Live Support